Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

Pink Plume Plant in local nursery as...

cynthianovak
11 years ago

Hi All

This is a great morning sun, or dappled shade plant. I've kept mine around for at least 5 years. I spotted it in a local nursery today. This year it's call The Flamingo Plant.

Here is a link if you are interested. Nothing like it for a conversation starter and it's pretty easy to keep happy too.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pink Plume or Flamingo plant

Comments (22)

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I call mine Brazilian Plume Plant and have had them for years. They root easily so I keep several on hand just in case.

• Ann_in_Houston
    11 years ago

That looks like it would work in my front yard bed. It gets strong morning sun. When you say they root easily, does that mean they spread out, over time?

• carrie751
    11 years ago

No, it means I take a cutting from the plant and root it. I have to grow them in containers here in North Texas.

• Ann_in_Houston
    11 years ago

I've found conflicting accounts of how tall they get. What's your experience?

• carrie751
    11 years ago

In a container, not very tall.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Same with me: About 12-18 inches.

• Ann_in_Houston
    11 years ago

Thanks.

• seegaye
    9 years ago

Would these make a hedge in a shaded area (zone 9 central florida)

• carrie751
    9 years ago

Probably. I put one in ground here in North Texas last year as I had read they would come back. It has and we had a hard winter.

• backacre
    9 years ago

I've always called mine 'Jacobinia'. It has been with me 11-12 years. Freezes to the ground each year. It usually makes it to about 2-2 1/2 feet each year. Take cuttings before a freeze and root in water over winter. I potted my cutting before spring and then planted in the garden. Easy and the bloom always gets applause.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    9 years ago

Mine is planted in the ground - gets to around 4' tall every summer. I have to cut it back to half-height in winter in order to cover it.

Seegaye, it depends upon how far north/south you are in central Florida. Do you get a hard freeze? Would you mind if your hedge froze back a little? It will return from the roots but it does take time...

Carol in Jacksonville, FL

• ruthz
    9 years ago

I saw one today at Jackson's in Dallas.
    I've never had one but if it overwinters inground here I might get one.

• carrie751
    9 years ago

Yes, Gail, mine came back. I was skeptical, and had a back-up, but it is about as far along as the firespike in size. I shall see how quickly it blooms for me.

• seegaye
    9 years ago

We had a couple of winters that got in the teens for a few days, but last year was mild. We live about an hour north of Tampa and an hour south of Ocala. There is forest all around so temps can be a bit lower and higher at the extreme ends than if in more open or urban areas. Freezing back a bit doesn't bug me too much. My hydrangeas do it some years and always come back nicely. I know a more practical hedge would be something that was for sure evergreen and perhaps more formal, but the dramatic look of this plant caught my eye and they were 3 / $10 at Lowes so I got 15 of them - 12 are now in a row for a hedge. They are small right now - only about a foot tall at best - and I hear differing reports of size and growth rate. The area I have them gets very little sun but isn't dense shade. My biggest question about using it was if it had a form that is okay for an informal showy hedge. I see some photos that make it look upright and dense and others that it has a form more open and spread out. Is it easy to care for - any issues? I guess I will find out soon enough if they will work. If not, I will be relocating them someday!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    9 years ago

Seegaye, it sounds lovely! Please post some pictures. I would love to see it. In your zone/climate, I bet it will work out nicely and definitely be something different. Way better than the usuals.

Carol

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carrie....it came back? I'm so excited! How big it the in ground survivor now? I crammed mine into pots and had them in my office window. Looked great until they got those little mites that look like bird do...grins.

• carrie751
    9 years ago

It isn't as large as my "saved" one, of course, Cynthia. SO, like brugs, if you want early blooms, you would still need to keep one or more in a container and protect them in the winter. I had several at the time as some limbs had gotten broken when they were moved from the greenhouse, so I took a chance and it survived this crazy winter. Don't know how big it will get with a normal season. My favorite brugs are still not sprouting so think I may have lost them. One is the second one I ever got in '05, and it makes me sad to think it bit the dust.

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Carrie, my only brug that I had in ground still has not come back this year. I don't normally take cuttings, but I did take a cutting of it in the fall because I'd really like to see it bloom for the first time. I'm glad I did.
    Most of the ones in pots survived.

• carrie751
    9 years ago

I think Cynthia was correct when she said the brugs took this winter personally.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carrie, I'm sorry to hear that. Your brugs have been spectacular and huge. I understand why you left some in the ground. but darn. My pale pink without a name brug made it in my green house and has bloomed twice but still its leaves are sparse and it looks tired. I feed it weekly and try to remember to water regularly ...

• carrie751
    9 years ago

Container brugs have to be repotted at least every three years, Cynthia, and I just cannot do that anymore. That is why even mine in containers look so bad this year,