Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ann_in_houston

veggie garden on stilts - drainage

Ann_in_Houston
10 years ago

Hubby has built me a veggie bed raised up to waist height and it looks really promising. I haven't done this before, beyond some limited success with some tomatoes in containers. Now, we are doing a second one and he is of the impression that we should set it up so that water collects in the bottom and the drier dirt above will reach wick it up as needed.by the plants. Sounds like engineered root rot to me. The wooden bed has plastic liner in it but we have to decide whether to punch holes or not. If we do make holes, does it make any sense at all to put them in the sides rather than the bottom? I won't mention whose idea it was to do it that way. ;)

Comments (8)

• robyn_tx
    10 years ago

Ann - you definitely need drainage if I have the picture right in my head of what you've set up. If you leave that liner in there, you'll have a mucky mess with wet roots. I'd also be worried that after a good rain the weight of wet soil will dislodge your plastic and the plants will come crashing down. Yes to holes. Lots of 'em!

Good luck!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

I have four open bottom, metal lined, wooden planters that are about 2 1/2 ' high and 3' in diameter. Because of gravity water drains out of raised beds very quickly so I emptied them of soil and put heavy black plastic in the bottom and about a foot up the sides. Several open slits were cut in the bottom with scissors and the soil returned. It works great. The soil drains enough, but doesn't dry out as fast.

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a picture I can post if you can guide me. I did cut some holes in the liner but I may need more. Also, the first bed is made on super heavy pallets that carried Pavestone, with a liner. That liner is simply old Easy-Up side panels stapled in place. There are seams that he just didn't seal, so I'm not worried about that drainage. The second on is essentially a raised boxes with a floor made of scap plywood and some large sections of HardiBacker panels. The point is that they are strong enough to handle any weight from rain. The legs are 4x4 timbers. The liner in that one is a single piece of pond liner we had lying around. I will probably find a way to make some more holes in it. We did load it with dirt, but I can go under it with a drill. I don't know how long veggie roots get to be.

This post was edited by ann_in_houston on Mon, May 27, 13 at 23:18

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roselee, what do you mean by 'open bottom'? Is the plastic in contact with the ground?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Yes, the plastic is in contact with the ground. Your set up off the ground is a little different, but plastic with holes would still help keep the moisture in the soil and maybe keep the wood from rotting as fast.

The ground gets so bone dry here in summers that I've even put heavy plastic (with holes in it) under rose bushes that I've planted.

To post a picture click "Browse" which is directly under the blue "Post a Follow -Up", go to where your photos are on your computer and click on the photo you want to publish. The link goes into the "Browse" box and will appear when you preview message. If you edit the message in the preview you have to again bring up the link in the "Browse" box.

We'd like to see a photo :-)

Happy gardening!

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a good view. I hate that you can hardly see the plants, but they're still just babies. The potted plant on the corner is a red bell pepper that I've been growing for a while now. It has about ten babies.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

That's a great photo of a VERY neat set up. Congratulations to your hubby for building it. Looks like the top could hold shade cloth to keep out the insects or provide a little shade in the hot months. Thanks for posting the picture!

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Roselee. The plan is to put some PVC pipe with sprinkler heads on the top. Over that, we'll put some more bird mesh.