Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have you seen the flexible pavers?

Posted by marti8a (My Page) on
Tue, May 24, 11 at 17:41

I saw some last night at a big box store. They were with the brick type pavers, and looked (and smelled) like the stuff on the high school track surface. The 16x16 was twice the price of the concrete paver, but so much lighter, with grooved indentations to look like a brick setting, and they came in green or orangish color.

I just wondered how they hold up on soil and if they bleach out with the sun.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have you seen the flexible pavers?

Depends on what they are made of. Here in Texas and probably elsewhere they are using the rubber from old tires which has been ground up and molded into shape and stained to look better. The playground surface areas are now being covered which is easier when a child falls plus no more muddy ground or gravel in that area.

o

I see them used in hardscapes on DIY network sometimes. They are made from old tires and are supposed to hold up longer than brick pavers.

o

pkponder, do they put a solid surface under them to keep them from sinking into the ground irregularly?

o

Oh yeah, foundation prep is the most important aspect to installing any pavers. Typically you'd want to dig 6 inches, lay landscape fabric then fill with crushed stone 4 inches deep and compact, level off with 1 inch of coarse sand and then place the pavers. Sweep sand (I hear polymeric is dandy because when you wet it, it forms a bond) into the cracks and your done! Guaranteed long lasting and professional looking patio! Lots of work but the absolute necessity if you want a level surface. I thinks decks sound easier!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here