Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody grow Palo verde 'desert museum' tree?

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 14 at 17:58

I'm looking for a small tree to plant in calichi type soil. A Catawba crape myrtle was planted in the spot last spring. It's very chlorotic. None of my mature crape myrtles are looking very good; all have reddish pale leaves. Whether it's from the cold, drought, soil or what I don't know, but this one is the worst in spite of my best efforts at fertilization and definitley has to go.

The Polo verde 'desert museum' is appealing for it's green bark, but it may not like calciferous soil either. If you have experience with it, or have suggestions for a smallish ornamentral tree it will be appreciated.

It's the little stunted bushy thing in the foreground that I'm talking about.

Edit: Also looking at a totally different type of plant: rusty blackhaw viburnum. Any thoughts on that one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Palo verde 'desert museum' trees ...

This post was edited by roselee on Sat, May 17, 14 at 18:21

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody grow Palo verde 'desert museum' tree?

Hi Ragna, They pop up all over here at the new place. I haven't seen any this year, yet but there is one in Tweed's bed I have to move. It is only about 2 ft

o

Jolana, maybe you better put it in a pot when you dig it up ... :-)

o

I LOVE rusty blackhaw viburnum! They're native on my property in east Texas, but hard to transplant. They're pretty slow growers too, but that may be because my native soil is sugar sand.

Love the flowers in the spring, the shiny leaves, the berries (blue!) and the fall foliage color. It is said to be adaptable soil-wise, so you should give it a try!

o

Thank you for the good words about rusty blackhaw viburnum.. It's definitely under consideration. If not in 'the' spot, for somewhere. I don't know why I haven't planted it before. Not having seen one growing I think to my mind the name never made it sound very pretty ... LOL.

o

Roselee, Have you considered goldenball leadtree (Leucaena retusa)? Should do well in your soil. Main weakness seems to be that branches can suffer wind or ice damage. Our seed start is still too small to claim any real experience with it, but like the open canopy for a tight spot in the back-yard. RBV seems like a great plant, ours is attractive even as a VERY small thing.

Edit - Removed GW(?) link insertion on "backy@rd" keyword.

Here is a link that might be useful: Goldenball Leadtree, Wahootree, Littleleaf Leadtree, Lemonball, Little Leucaena

This post was edited by bostedo on Sun, May 18, 14 at 11:17

o

Bostedo, that's an excellent suggestion and the thought of Goldenball leadtree had already crossed my mind. Quite a while ago I had two of them, one in the front yard and one in back. I loved them. But after they got to be fairly mature they both started to leak sap at the junction of a limb and the trunk. Anybody else have that happen? I never figured out why, but being impatient to try something else I took them out.

But being such a beautiful little tree it might be worth trying again. I don't have a picture of the whole tree, but here's a couple of the flowers.

photo GoldenLeadballTree.jpg

photo GoldenLeadballTreeII.jpg

photo guesswhat.jpg

o

Roselee, Thanks for the goldenball photos and comments. Don't know if that seepage is normal, but have suspected there may be issues as they get older besides breakage because the young trees look so nice, but we don't see many of them around. Our dwarf peaches do that, but have been told it is normal because of the relatively large water uptake from the standard root stock on which the dwarfs are grafted. Suppose too much water could cause similar thing with GLT? We get a "cleansing" wind/ice storm every 6 or 7 years, so know it's risky here anyway. Will probably try a hop tree if it eventually fails.

This post was edited by bostedo on Sun, May 18, 14 at 16:46

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here