Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Would those of you who have been praying for rain, please stop?

TxMarti
9 years ago

There is at least two inches sitting on top of my yard and inching closer to the house.

You can start praying again in a few days.

Thanks. ;)

Comments (20)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

That's great news Marti, at least if it doesn't get into your house. Although it was predicted to rain here San Antonio hasn't gotten any yet. Just some wind and lots of humidity.

• carrie751
    9 years ago

Marti, not ALL of us here in North Texas got the amount of rain we needed..................I being one of them, but grateful for what I did get. Sorry you got more than you wanted ...................think it is called feast or famine !!!!

• beachplant
    9 years ago

not a drop here. We are in a drought and north Texas is going to start recycling waste water. So, sorry, but the rest of the state needs rain!
    Tally HO!

• linda_tx8
    9 years ago

Nothing...it just gets drier and drier in this area this spring. Send it HERE!

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

The Texas Panhandle is extremely dry. We have had more dust storms this spring than I remember during my lifetime. Those of us who have cattle have no pastures at all and are having to either sell off cattle or pay the rising prices of hay just to keep the cattle fed. The water from the Ogallala, which supplies most of the water here, is being depleted with some homes closer to Lubbock not having water several months out of the year..

Sorry, I won't stop praying for rain. Wish you could send yours here.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wish I could too gmatx. I wish I had some rain barrels out too. This was our first good rain this year and the ground just couldn't absorb it fast enough. I hope it's not our last but it could be just that. We usually get just a sprinkle.

Carrie, where are you? I'm in northern Ellis County.

• gardenper
    9 years ago

Although it's true the ground may not have absorbed it quickly, and it usually ends up as run-off, it might also be a drainage condition you might want to check out for your yard, especially where it can get dangerously close to flooding into your home.

This year I mulched a certain area of my backyard, thinking that mulching is generally good, right ? Well, I had forgotten that this area is at the bottom of a a very slight incline in my yard. Our light rains earlier had been no problem, but the big rain yesterday ended up pooling water in that area, as the mulch was enough resistance for the flow of water which would normally keep going down and out of my yard.

So I'll have to rethink that area with the mulch.

• carrie751
    9 years ago

Marti, I am in Copper Canyon just south of Denton. The rain usually comes as far south of Denton as Corinth and I just get the thunder, lightening and "smell". This time, however, I got a decent rain and for it, I am very grateful.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    9 years ago

Hope this prediction holds up!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Lou, I hope so too! A narrow vertical line of thunderstorms is passing through San Antonio. I just hope it doesn't let up before enough rain falls to penetrate the mulch.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Barely 1/4 inch ... oh well, maybe rain clouds will build up again and it will rain some more over the next few days.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    9 years ago

Roselee,

That line of storms was unexpected for that amount of rainfall today (and nice amount for north part of Texas yesterday). Yah! On top of another one in 4-5 days. I didn't get much sadly though. Back to watering tomorrow just to keep plants alive. http://www.texasstormchasers.com/2014/05/09/rainfall-totals-from-thursdays-event/

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

weather.com shows 2.68 inches at Midlothian airport, but my gauge shows 4". It's nearly all gone from my yard now, just the low spot in my driveway has a puddle.

We took the gutters down to paint and the water ran down the valley by the front porch and filled the flower beds instantly. We got a LOT of rain. I was afraid to do laundry yesterday in case the septic lines couldn't get rid of the water but today I did a load with no problem.

I had noticed some big cracks in the yard Wednesday and they are all gone today. I hope the next deluge hits the rest of you and we just get a nice little shower.

• linda_tx8
    9 years ago

Me too, about 1/4 inch, hope that isn't all. Maybe we'll get more next week. It's been really dry!

• lou_spicewood_tx
    9 years ago

Marti,

I live in Spicewood now but yeah, I saw that. Yah! All the trees I planted there in Midlothian will enjoy that!

I check http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/p168i.gif daily and it keeps changing of where it'd rain the most but at least we know we will get some rain! The latest run... whoo....

• rcnaylor
    9 years ago

Just move on out to the Panhandle with those successful prayers!

We have had about an inch all year and been behind for 10 years. ;(

• rcnaylor
    9 years ago

PS Glad to hear some parts of Texas are getting some real rain!

• linda_tx8
    9 years ago

We got over 2 1/4 inches! That's SO amazing, after not getting a good rain for a long time. And that natural fertilizer from the lightning helps, too.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Yes, it is so wonderful to have moisture in the ground. My rain guage showed 1.75 inches. It's saving the trees -- for a while anyway. But I'm making myself remember those many 107 degree days last summer, some days were even higher; lest I be tempted to start planting more things ... LOL.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    9 years ago

Not to mention rather cool weather for months... We're getting so spoiled with such mild weather over the spring (except for lack of rainfall).