Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arbor/Pergola Planting

Posted by monicakm (My Page) on
Sun, May 8, 11 at 18:36

This is the first time I've ever posted to the Garden section of GARDENweb. Looking at all the categories, I'm not sure where to ask this question so I chose Texas since that's where I am :)
DH built a cedar arbor/pergola. It's seven feet tall, 5 1/2 feet wide and 8 feet long. It has lattice sides. He's chosen to plant Jasmine. Question: How many plants should he use and where? One on each side? All four corners? Two opposite corners? Or.....?
The one plant he has is maybe 3 feet tall.
Thank you :)
Monica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arbor/Pergola Planting

Is this Confederate star jasmine, Monica???

o

Look at the tag for the name of the plant. Hopefully it will have a label listing the Latin name so you know exactly what you have. Go online and look up mature size, cold hardiness and pros/cons of plant for what you need. With the latin name or a picture people on this forum can tell you how it actually grows here in TX.

o

If it's Star Jasmine that you're considering -- it's a wonderful plant and would be perfect for an arbor! Just be sure you get the Madison variety as it is VERY freeze tolerant where the regular one is not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Discussion about Star Jasmines freezing ...

o
RE: Your original question ...

Madison Star Jasmines will eventually grow into a very large evergreen vine, but if I wanted good coverage soon I'd plant one at the corners and then space them every two or three feet and guide them upwards as they grow. I'm guessing in three years it should be to the top of the arbor, but it will be blooming those fantastically fragrant blooms for you next spring. The saying for how perennials grow: the first year they sleep, second year they creep and third year they leap.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here