Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

How do you find help with a little garden labor?

TxMarti
9 years ago

I looked on CL and only found ads from companies that do mowing and that sort of thing.

I need some heavy stepping stone rocks moved and I'm just not strong enough to help dh do it, plus his back doesn't need to be doing it.

Don't know anyone with teenage sons and we're stumped.

Comments (10)

• melvalena
    9 years ago

I posted on Nextdoor... a site I joined then set up for our neighborhood..
    with in 1/2 hour I had reply and a teen boy showed up to work. And he did work!

My daughter sent me the link. It wasn't set up for my neighborhood, I didn't think it would go over but it did.

Here is a link that might be useful: nextdoor site

• mrs.wiggley
    9 years ago

I asked a young man who worked as a landscaper for a nursery if he did any independent work in his free time. He said he could do anything that didn't require the nursery's equipment.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I've had such a hard time in my area . . . workers show up to give estimates then never come back to do the work . . . workers just want to sell me concrete . . . workers are creepy and ask creepy questions ("nice house . . . do you live alone?)

• mrs.wiggley
    9 years ago

Another thought - you might contact your local Master Gardeners group and ask them if they could recommend someone. It might also be a good group to join and learn from. Often they will visit and work in each other's gardens and maintain strong friendships.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    9 years ago

Might check with the youth leaders at your neighborhood churches or scouting units. We've gotten help with dog-sitting and other odd jobs this way from high school and college students. With today's safety and liability concerns, probably helps if you're known to someone connected to those organizations.

There are day labor centers in Garland and Plano that some of our contractors regularly use that are also available to homeowners. Imagine there are others around DFW. Not for everyone, but can be a better option than hiring folks out of a big box parking lot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plano Day Labor Center Overview

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

How large are the stones and how many do you need to move? My hubby and I might be able to help.

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

Maybe you can get a student from Waxahachie High School's agricultural/horticultural class (they're the ones who do an annual plant sale from their greenhouse.)

• Lynn Marie
    9 years ago

That day labor site is brilliant! Every city should offer that!

• weenerdogg
    9 years ago

I was just Wondering the same thing. People have stopped and offered their services but all are either creepy, want my number or never come back. I'll look at the next door site. Thanks!!

• dee2000_tx7
    9 years ago

I'm needing the same thing. Have been wishing I had a gardener for over a year now, since I had back surgery & can't do ground work without standing on my head or moving my stool around every 5 min. Then it's still strain on my back.
    I love the idea of 'Next Door'. I sent the link to a friend here in our little community to see if she knows people with more computer skills than I have who could start one..
    Also am going to check on the Labor Center to see if we have one in Arlington. All we ever see is the groups gathered near the Race Trac or other parking lots. I've known people who use them & had no problems. But I'm just a little cautious. Thanks for the ideas.