Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southofsa

Sicloverde San Antonio June 15

southofsa
10 years ago

I saw this in one of the monthly newsletters I get. Anyone interested in the 14 mile tour?

"Following in the path of our extremely successful 5k garden tour, Green Spaces is hosting SicloVerde. SicloVerde is a bicycle tour visiting six community gardens. Three tour options will be offered: 14-mile group tour, 8-mile group tour, and self-guided. Participants gather at the first garden in the morning and travel in groups from garden to garden, visiting with gardeners and taking part in fun garden-themed activities before completing the loop."

Here's the link for more info:

http://www.greensatx.org/upcoming-events/register-for-a-workshop?ee=132

Lisa

Comments (8)

• southofsa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awwww come on guys- no bikers out there? How hard can it be? Ride a couple miles, get off and tour a garden, then do it again. Piece of cake ;-)

If I survive I'll let you know how it was. If I can get any decent pics off my phone I'll post. And if you don't hear from me after the 15th, well it's been great knowing you!

Lisa

• southofsa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I survived and am only a little bit saddle sore :-) It was pretty neat. There's a lot little community gardens tucked away here and there that I never had heard about. The ones we saw yesterday were all part of the Green Spaces Alliance of South Texas. We toured 6 of them.

The ones that stood out to me were the River Road Community Garden on Huisache Ave, the Beacon Hill Community Garden on W. Gramercy, and the Jefferson Community Garden on W. Gramercy. The people that rode fell into either the gardener or biker category. There probably were more gardeners overall, but the bike guides were volunteers from local bike clubs. They also had vans that would help you with any needed bike repairs and park police that rode with us to make sure there weren't any problems with traffic and watched our bikes while we toured the gardens. It was really well planned out and supported. I think they said 80 people had preregistered.

• southofsa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I took the pictures with my phone, so they aren't the greatest. This is the River Road Garden. All the work is done by volunteers from the community.

• southofsa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought the water collection system at the Beacon Hill garden was very interesting. Plus the garden volunteers from there made home made muffins and cookies for the riders. A really nice unexpected treat :-)

• southofsa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They've installed ollas at the Beacon Hill Terrace garden to use for most of their irrigation. The potter that makes them was there to explain how they work. They were first used in 2011 during that awful drought and they still managed to have a productive garden without additional irrigation.

Her website, kerseyceramics.com, has a great explanation of the history and use with a link to a video if you'd want to make your own.

This post was edited by southofsa on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 9:15

• southofsa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought this mosaic from Gardens of St. Therese behind the Basilica of the National Shrine was neat. They were so welcoming- they had the priest from the Basilica come out to meet us and take some group pictures.

The whole tour took about 3 hours. I think they want to do another one sometime. It was a good time to talk to gardeners from all over SA and see parts of the city I don't get to. Definitely two thumbs up :-)

Lisa

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Lisa, how nice to combine biking and gardening! You really get to get a feel for the countryside on a bike.. Thanks reporting on the highlights of each site and the photos!

• cass_fritillary
    10 years ago

Wow what a fun idea!! I love cycling & gardening. Sounds like my kind of day... I would have joined you if I were closer:)
    Thanks for sharing!

Cassie

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz