Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Pentas in TX

Posted by tiddyt ZN 8 TX (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 07 at 19:29

First off I'd like to say hello to everyone here. I'm new to these boards, new to gardening, and I've already found a great deal of help lurking here.

I just purchased a Pentas from HD, and it is labeled as an annual. After doing a little research it seems that this bad boy may work as a perennial in Texas. Just curious if y'all have had luck growing it as a perennial, it will have some impact on how I decide to plant it. Any help will be greatly appreciated, and I'll apologize in advance for the endless barrage of questions that I'll most likely unleash on y'all in the future.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Pentas in TX

zone 8 annual, sorry.. San Antonio and South it will come back but for us annual.

o

Enjoy as an annual with plenty of sun, water rich soil and regular feeding and the beauty and butterflies will amaze you.
Happy Growing David

o

My sister in law in Garland has had it come back, but she's got a really protected back yard. It's kind of hit and miss around here. I keep mine in pots and put in the flowerhouse over winter. Looks really tacky by spring, but I just trim it up, fertilize and it does fine the second year. Third year, well, I don't think it really likes the flower house, so I pushed my luck and it died.

o

I haven't had them come back outside,but had the best luck with some I stuck into the big pots with my brugmansias. The pentas were the prettiest houseplant / flowers I've had!

They bloomed in the light from a south and east facing window under the eaves. This year I'm saving more as houseplants.

o

I am amazed that they flowered indoors. And, that any survived the winter in Garland (outdoors). This plant wasn't around when I left Texas years ago, but as I understand it, it is now one of the most popular bedding or container plants, although I was under the impression that at 32 degrees they were goners. As I see more and more at garden centers, I can see why they have become so popular.
My daughter said that her experience was that the reds and pinks were more hardy and robust than the darker colors.

o

It's a fantastic annual here in the Dallas area. In fact, it's my favorite summer annual, with petunias being my favorite in the spring. I grow it in the ground (well prepared beds only), as well as in large containers. It needs regular watering when it's not raining. I've found that it appreciates some afternoon shade during the hottest part of the summer (who doesn't?).

Randy

Click on me to enlarge:

o

It comes back from the roots for me in my Zone 8B...Jeanne

o

Never goes dormant here in 9b. Blooms on & off most of the year too. Kind of looks a little straggly in January/February. Full sun to partial shade.
Tally Ho!

o

Mine didn't like the cold snaps this winter (we dipped to 23 for one night!) but I made sure to cover them every time we even came close to freezing. By early spring I saw new growth trying to squeeze out near the base of the plant so I cut off all the stuff above it (all foliage and stems). They are taking off now (well, one is. The other seems to be a runt.) The big one is flowering like crazy. I'm a bit northwest of Houston so I don't know if I fall in zone 8b or 9, but my red pentas made it this winter (and so did the ones next door, although they didn't get covered ONCE!).

Good luck!

PS--i don't know why, but I have never seen butterflies on my pentas. I don't see any bees in my yard, either.

o

Lindsey..I see butterflies and honeybees on mine all the time..if you have a bunch of stuff blooming..they will come...Jeanne

o

Thanks so much. I think I'll plant it in the new bed and see what happens. Maybe it'll come back, maybe it won't. Do y'all see any problems with it taking hot afternoon sun?

o

Mine are planted where they get full sun from about 1pm on...they love it...Jeanne

o

I live in Arlington, TX (north Texas). Last year, I received a small small Pentas plant. It survived well in my flowerbed and because it was given by a dear friend, I decided to try to save it through the winter and make it a perennial. I dug up the plant at the end of the year before the first (or was it second) frost, I potted it and placed it in my garage under a cheap heat lamp. I watered all winter and this spring, moved it back to my garden. It has not yet flowered but the plant is looking good and strong. Will now try it with more plants I will purchase tomorrow. Love this plant. Gorgeous blooms.

o

An avid houseplant and herb grower, I'm expanding into vegetable and container flower gardening. I just purchased my first Pink Penta and just repotted it. Sounds like I can treat this as an annual in south TX. Amazed at the plethora of information in this forum - very grateful to have found this!

o

Mine have returned the last two years in San Antonio because the winters have been mild. I do have them near the house for extra protection but this year the pink one continued to bloom except for a few weeks in January. The red ones might also bloom through the winter except I cut them back in fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here