Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Thornless Texas Honey Mesquite?

Anybody have experience with Thornless Texas Honey Mesquite?

Here is a link that might be useful: Prosopis glandulosa Maverick or Phoenix ...

Comments (13)

• phoenix7801
    9 years ago

We have them growing in the botanical gardens. They're more tree like as opposed to the classic mesquite's multi-trunk habit. We get shipments from Mountain States so they might even be this variety.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow - thanks Joey for telling me about their growth habit. I'd LOVE to see them planted out! That's what's good about botanical gardens ... :-) Can you tell me where to find them on the grounds?

After getting interested in this variety I just hope I can find one for sale!

• phoenix7801
    9 years ago

They're planted between the Texas Native Trail Pavillion and the Overlook. Come on out and see what they look like.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! I think I remember seeing mesquite trees growing out in the open field there, but I never went close to check them out. Not sure yet, but I may have localed one for sale ... :-)

• jolanaweb
    8 years ago

Is this the tree, Ragna and Omar

Joey says, "We have them growing in the botanical gardens. They're more tree like as opposed to the classic mesquite's multi-trunk habit. We get shipments from Mountain States so they might even be this variety.

They're planted between the Texas Native Trail Pavillion and the Overlook"

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Yes, I think it was probably thornless honey mesquite that Omar mentioned to you. That's where it was growing, but with no tag ... :-(

When we were looking at it this time I had forgotten about the thornless mesquite that I asked about here.

And by the way, I never found a source. When I went to the nursery that said they had it in stock it turned out to be the Chilean Mesquite , same family, but a very different tree in growth habit and appearance, and said to be so shallow rooted that large trees are easily blown over.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I just looked at Moutain States Wholesale availability list and it's not there. Interesting that what would seem to be a very desirable tree is not more readily available.

• jolanaweb
    8 years ago

Wow, that is shallow! I bet that is it. Was the tree tagged incorrectly or they were mistaken?

A place in San Marcos told me that they had a Arroyo Sweetwood, so we went there and it definitely wasn't but I got it anyway because it looked familiar, it was a gallon and cheap. So I got home repotted it and several months later I was repotting a 4" up to a gallon and when I finished, grabbed the pot to put on the table, I saw honey lo in a very faint print. It was on there the whole time, I didn't look, the salesperson didn't look

Of course that is what it was, hindsight........

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The Chilean mesquite was tagged correctly, but had "thornless mesquite" on the tag also. Good selling point I guess.

So you have a Honey locust . Of course, I had to look it up. I've found plant tags buried down deep sometime too.

• jolanaweb
    8 years ago

Yep, I don't know which one, all I know it is thornless. I think they all bloom but don't know

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Gary, the reason that we see so many multi-trunked mesquite trees is very interesting.

Mesquites have gotten a bad rap in recent times, but have a long history of usefulness in spite of thorns. Now we'd appreciate a thornless variety for our town gardens. I've dug enough thorns out of my barefeet in bygone days ... LOL

• jolanaweb
    8 years ago

Great article. The loggerhead shrikes where my gm lived would impale cicadas , hoppers , etc on the thorns

I've heard it called shrike kabobs, lol

Of course the would use barb wire whatever was around that was sharp, lol

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked jolanaweb
Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County