Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dinner with a view

Posted by plantmaven 8b/9a TX (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 20:19

I went to buy puffy tacos and they smelled so good. I decided to pull into the shade and eat them. Out the windshield was a hedge of glossy abelias.

A blue swallowtail was having it's dinner also.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dinner with a view

drop

o

What's a fluffy taco? Is that a Southern like TX-Mex thing? Where's the picture of the butterfly? Did you share your food at least? :)

o

PJ, a PUFFY taco, not fluffy. No camera with me and no I did not share my food.

o

I kin read really! I'll look up puffy taco. Seriously I love surprise animal visits anywhere. It's nice to eat outside before it gets too hot for anything to show up.

o

A puffy taco is really good. Instead of the traditional corn tortilla fried shell, a puffy taco shell is a fried flour tortilla. It puffs up thicker when fried;hence, a puffy taco.

o

Here in San Antonio puffy tacos are made from raw corn tortillas. These are the ones Diana Barrios Trevino made at the Whitehouse for the Obamas.

Puffy taco shells
Ingredients:
2 cups of masa harina
1 1/4 cups of water
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 quart of peanut or canola oil

Method:
Mix masa harina, water and salt together until it forms into a soft ball. If it�s too dry, add a bit more water a tablespoon at a time.
Divide dough into 16 equal balls, and press out with a tortilla press or roll out with a rolling pin.
Keep pressed discs covered with a damp cloth.
Heat up two inches of oil in a pot or skillet to 350 degrees.
Gently place a disc in the hot oil and it should immediately start to puff. After five seconds, with a spatula, make an indention in the center so it forms a V shape.
Gently cook the shell on each side until light brown and crispy (about 20 seconds for each side).
Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel.
Stuff with spicy ground beef, shredded iceberg lettuce, diced tomatoes, grated cheddar and salsa and serve immediately.
Makes 16 tacos.

o

I'm going to try this recipe. Thanks :).

o

You are welcome.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here