Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

dinner with a view

plantmaven
12 years ago

I went to buy puffy tacos and they smelled so good. I decided to pull into the shade and eat them. Out the windshield was a hedge of glossy abelias.

A blue swallowtail was having it's dinner also.

Comments (8)

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

drop

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

What's a fluffy taco? Is that a Southern like TX-Mex thing? Where's the picture of the butterfly? Did you share your food at least? :)

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PJ, a PUFFY taco, not fluffy. No camera with me and no I did not share my food.

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

I kin read really! I'll look up puffy taco. Seriously I love surprise animal visits anywhere. It's nice to eat outside before it gets too hot for anything to show up.

• wexy1000
    12 years ago

A puffy taco is really good. Instead of the traditional corn tortilla fried shell, a puffy taco shell is a fried flour tortilla. It puffs up thicker when fried;hence, a puffy taco.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here in San Antonio puffy tacos are made from raw corn tortillas. These are the ones Diana Barrios Trevino made at the Whitehouse for the Obamas.

Puffy taco shells
    Ingredients:
    2 cups of masa harina
    1 1/4 cups of water
    1/4 teaspoon of salt
    1 quart of peanut or canola oil

Method:
    Mix masa harina, water and salt together until it forms into a soft ball. If it�s too dry, add a bit more water a tablespoon at a time.
    Divide dough into 16 equal balls, and press out with a tortilla press or roll out with a rolling pin.
    Keep pressed discs covered with a damp cloth.
    Heat up two inches of oil in a pot or skillet to 350 degrees.
    Gently place a disc in the hot oil and it should immediately start to puff. After five seconds, with a spatula, make an indention in the center so it forms a V shape.
    Gently cook the shell on each side until light brown and crispy (about 20 seconds for each side).
    Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel.
    Stuff with spicy ground beef, shredded iceberg lettuce, diced tomatoes, grated cheddar and salsa and serve immediately.
    Makes 16 tacos.

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

I'm going to try this recipe. Thanks :).

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are welcome.