Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Received a Huge Box of Bulbs

Posted by equinecpa 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 29, 11 at 21:00

I ordered a big grab bag of bulbs a little over a month ago because I couldn't resist the deal -a ton of bulbs for $25.00. My garden had no Spring color and I couldn't resist.

Now they are here I realize it's not the time to plant them. Could anyone tell me which of the following NEED or should go in the ground and which should be able to wait until fall?

I have:
Spicy Cajun Louisiana Iris (looks like it's sprouting)
Purple Tall Dutch Iris
Casablanca Lily
Gladioulus-Plumtart, Glamini Eva
Elke Everblooming Geranium
Hosta (Bareroot and growing)
Dahlias-Garden wonder, Blue Star
Campanula Lactiflora
Phlox Paniculata

I imagine anything that is bareroot needs to go in now, what about the bulbs? Can they wait?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Received a Huge Box of Bulbs

I love a good deal too!

I would plant them all. It will do none of them any good to sit in a closet all summer. I would try to rehydrate the bare roots first to make them more pliable.

The only things you can keep are hard corms like anemones or ranunculus. Anything that is more bulb like doesn't want to wait.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here