Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Does anybody recognize this plant???

It came up like gangbusters in a large container that formerly had cannas and for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. Maybe it will come to me, but for now I need help. Does it look familiar to any of you?

Comments (22)

• glitter_and_guns
    10 years ago

It looks a lot like the wild mulberry plants that would spring up when I was in Ohio. I don't even know if that is an option down here, but very similar anyway. Maybe that will spark an idea in someone.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Glitter! I thought about mulberry although there are no trees close by as far as I know. The foliage came up so strongly like it was from a root. Maybe mulberries do that?.

If it is I guess now I can go into the silk worm business with Plantmaven Kathy ;-) She posted some pictures recently of her mystery plant and it was also thought to be a mulberry tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sure looks like the pictures with the serrated edged leaves, what do y'all think?

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

Hi roselee,
    That was my first thought too, that it looks like a mulberry.

• ruthz
    10 years ago

The leaves looks like a couple of my Hardy Hibiscus plants.

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

Hmm.. it looks like a vine to me and the leaves look too"square" to be a mulberry.... Also, the tissue looks too "fleshy" for a tree.

Omar

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

Did you have Mexican flame vine? It might be the Mexican hydrangea.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys are just too good! As soon as I read "vine" in Omar's post (what made you think of vine? --wow) I remembered I'd had Mexican flame vine in the planter and then Kathy confirmed it. How could I have forgotten?

Thanks to all who replied.

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

The not so erected stems growth was mainly what made think of a vine. Trees stems are also lankier and there is a longer distance between nods.

Now, I supposedly have a Mexican flame vine and its leaves do not look like yours. Go figure.... Now I need to find out what I have.

Omar

• zitro_joe
    10 years ago

I was also thinking hardy hibiscus.

• surfbreeze
    10 years ago

Looks like hibiscus to me also

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Omar, thanks passing along some things to consider when contemplanting plant identification.

Joe and Surf, the leaves do look a like hibiscus, but I remembered I having moved a Mexican flame vine from that planter and apparently one came up from some roots that were left. Plants sure have a strong will to live. Amazing. I guess I will let it stay there.

Thanks everyone for your ideas!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Kinda looks like my Moy Grande, definitely not a Mexican flame vine, I just dug up 24 plants Wed. Didn't I give you a Moy Grande 5 years ago at the fall plant swap? You posted that it was Dr Moy from the San Antonio botantical gardens who it was named after, He developed the plant, while working, so he could not get anything other than having the plant named after him, something like that. Barbra

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Barbra, it's not Mexican Flame vine? Oh great ... sigh, I thought that was settled. I can't compare the leaves myself because I gave away the one I had.

You've given me lots of wonderful plants, but not a Moy hibiscus that I can remember. I took pictures of some growing at Malcolm Beck's place and at the SABG.. I did have a Lord Baltimore hibisicus growing in the planter a couple of years ago, but still have it and the leaves don't match that one. .

I'll guess I'll have to give the plant more time to show what is it.

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

After checking my Mexican flame vine, I think Roselee is right. The leaves on mine are more elongated and they have red petioles but this could be caused by more sun exposure and less fertile soil.
    Where's Jim when we need him? He has that vine and could share his opinion.

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: Senecio c.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There seems to be some differences in leaf shape among the photos of Mexican flame vine.

Here is a link that might be useful: If interested click on photos for larger view ... I'm still undecided.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

You could just grow it out and let the bloom decide it for certain :-)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Roselee, I just dug up 24 well rooted Mexican flame vines, how many do you want? I left them at the coast in a 5 gallon pot, and can bring as many as you want next week when we get back. Just let me know. I had 9 Moy Grande plants from Lowes mark down area. I remember I gave several of them away, It was in 2008, so I don't remember who I gave them to. Lord Baltimore is still my favorite hardy hibiscus. Big Orange is my favorite tropical hibiscus. Usually May is the month my garden is in full bloom, not this year. Right now my lilies and amaryllis have just started to bloom. Barbra

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pam, okay... that's what I'm going to do -- let the betting begin !

Thanks Honeybunny Barbra, let me think it over.

BTW, I've got Lord Baltimore in a better place now and am expecting great things ... :-)

• eahamel
    10 years ago

It's mulberry. The birds bring them in. I've been dealing with them for years. The new twigs are always green and fleshy like that.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Eahamel. I'm going to leave it for awhile and see what it does. Will let y'all know. Thanks for your help.

• annieinaustin
    10 years ago

Linda from CTG/KLRU recently had an Austin mystery tree question and it sort of looked like mulberry but not quite... turned out to be a Paper Mulberry/ Broussonetia papyrifera.

If this is your plant the Wildflower Center says you not want to keep it! The leaves are variable - sounds like they sometimes are simple when young but later develop the mitten-shape.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wildflower Center on paper mulberry

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Annie for the link that links to photos of the various kinds of leaves on Mulberry. .

Still watching the plant in question.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County