Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Question about lasanga gardening on the gallery ...

Posted by Campruby Zn8Tx (My Page) on Sun, May 20, 12 at 15:47

Anyone ever try lasagna gardening? Does it really work? It sounds wonderful, but I am skeptical. I live in rural southeast Tx where the bahia and nutgrass are prolific and stout.

Comments (12)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I put a link on the gallery to this forum so can answer here. Kathy, I know you have some experience and pictures of your success with the lasanga method. Do you think it will smother the plants mentioned above?

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

I used this method, and am a believer - weed problem has been greatly reduced, although still do get airborne weeds, but they're so much easier to pull, and the soil seems to really have benefitted. I put down the cardboard, wet it down really well, and just put mulch on top and I have rock-hard clay soil. Now when I dig down it's so much easier, and have worms, so I figure it's working!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

Hi Campruby,
    Welcome to the Texas GW! Although I wasn't battling nutgrass and bahia, I love lasagna gardening. In my present home, I nearly eradicated asian jasmine and english ivy with a layer of cardboard, layer of compost and heavy mulch. I only put in a few (maybe a dozen) plants the first year but now I garden the entire area. The cardboard is completely gone, I do find random pieces of the tape when I plant. The only place that the unwanted plants return was right next to trees where it's difficult to cover.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

We used it for our raised veggie beds, and it worked very well.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Yes! It does work. My house is an example. Scroll down until you see my pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lasagna

• Lynn Marie
    11 years ago

I'm going to chime in on the yes column too. I have several raised beds with veggies in them. They are probably 4-5 years old now. Just make sure you don't skimp on the cardboard. I do have bermudagrass that will get in there via runners, but nothing coming up from under.

• lou_texas
    11 years ago

plantmaven, I looked at your pics again, and I still love those red poppies!!! : )

Your place is beautiful. Lou

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I have never heard of such a thing! From what i'm seeing and reading the idea seems to work, without the black fabric landscapers use, right? Is this only used for small plantings like flowers? How about a plant~small bush~in a 5 gal container?

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

This site pretty much answered my question re:5 gal. plantings. It's amazing what can be learned on these garden forums!! ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: cardboard..

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Patty, we used roofing paper, aka tar paper. This was much easier for us old people :>). We bought the cheapest we could find. Some have questioned the "tar". I had a picture of the huge earthworms I dug up the next year. But can't seem to find it. Tar is an organic and there is so little of it on the paper.

all my beds used roofing paper in Jan/Feb 2008 and these pictures were taken August 2008.

{{gwi:685624}}

{{gwi:690376}}

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

it works! This is what we started with

and this is what it looked like later that summer after extensive lasagna gardening... ~600 sq ft

and now after 3 years

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Judging by the pics, I would have to say it certainly *does* work! Seeing the size of the trees makes me think the soil has become very fertile thru the years also. ;o)