Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
American basket flower

Posted by wantonamara 8bTx (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 22:00

I love to celebrate a new wildflower when they walk onto my land. I have 2 very healthy basket flowers where I have never seen them before on this land. God knows I have been yanking yellow star thistle and canadian thistle all spring long. It is great to get a new-to-me native show its face here instead. It looks a little like a thistle flower. It and I am lucky that I wasn't on auto pilot in my yanking frenzy. I would love to post a photo but my computer is down and I am not able to get my photos downloaded and all that jive to my flicker account. I will be out there in the morning with my camera.I found it just as the sun was going down. It was right where I want to plant a salvia gregii. I almost dug it up.

I included the LBJ wildflower entry for it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Basket Flower

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: American basket flower

I like it!!! Let me know if you have extra seeds for next year!

o

They say it is the most common wildflower in Texas. Then how come I don't see it that much?I never see a lot of them. One of the common names for it is American star thistle. LOL. I really was yanking at the Yellow star thistle right before I got to it. How 'bout that for immediate gratification!

o

It's a lovely plant! So sweet. I invited here years ago...gathered seed from roadside plants. Hope you can persuade them to naturalize!

o

Late last night I had this really indistinct memory from a couple of years back of finding a scraggly thistle-ish pinkish flower It had another tiny thing that had some seed next to it with a little fluff on it. I grabbed it and walked off. It disappeared from my hand by the time I got to the seed bank. I must have gone to the nursery area first because these came up right by a pathway to it from where I spied the plant.

Hey Linda, do you grow Texas prairie parsley? I will have some seed from it. I sure do like that plant. I here that the butterflies like it.

o

Very nice, it's always good when a new native shows up on its own.

o

I'm not sure about Texas prairie parsley. I've got some kind of wild parsley-like plant that gets really big...like something on steroids...already gone to seed now. I'll look up that species you mentioned. Been meaning to find an ID for the plant I have. I've also got Daucosma laciniata (starting to bloom now). The butterfly caterpillars can use both of them. But I haven't seen that kind of butterfly yet this year.

o

The plant I have that is called Texas prairie Parsley , aka Polytaenia texana is noted below. I was looking at Daucosma laciniata. Does that have sticky- hairy small seeds????. I am confused by all these queen ann's lace look alikes. I think I am going to add this to the thread about Queen ann's lace.

Here is a link that might be useful: Polytaenia texana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here