Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasmin1120

morning sun, afternoon shade flowering, evergreen shrub?

jasmin1120
14 years ago

I have a spot in front of my house that gets morning sun and afternoon shade. What plant will do well in that area? I'd prefer an evergreen, flowering bush but will take any if I am limited. I'm not sure what type of soil I have...is there a way for me to tell? I have a few white Gauras "whirling butterflies" there right now, not knowing it was partial shade. Will these plants be alright in that spot?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)

• Gardener972
    14 years ago

Boxwoods or hollys would do fine but they're kinda boring. Azaleas would do fine in those conditions but are SO PICKY with their soil requirements. I totally would NOT recommend them.

• mommyfox
    14 years ago

Your county extension office can test your soil for you. You can either find them on your county's website, or if you're a technophobe or just can't find the dang folk, call your library and they will be able to get you in touch with them.

There are a lot of really nice morning plants. How big would you like them to get? Loropetalum is a great shrub; it's purple leaved, semi-evergreen, touch and flowers bright pink. There are several varieties available that get different sizes. Gardenias, camelias and azaleas are all nice plants but they require special site preparation and fertilizers. There are some nice hollies out there, some with berries that feed the birds. I saw a great-looking variegated holly at Calloway's the other day.

If you want stuff that stays low, say under a window, part-sun perennials can work too. Crinums, ginger, balloon flower, columbine, elephant ears for a tropical look ... Lots of really great options!

I would get your soil tested, think about how much you're willing to do in terms of site preparation and care (fertilizers and water), what size plants you need, whether you want to deal with pruning, and maybe what kind of colors you're going for.

• jasmin1120
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Foxy Mommy :)

Does ginger need any special care? and is it an evergreen? I get sun from 7a-1p there, is that considered full sun? I know its more than six hours but its morning???

Can you tell I'm a newbie :(

• debndal
    14 years ago

As far as light/sun is concerned just about anything you would want would do well in that setting. So, next you would want to concern yourself with soil, which you can amend, and water.
    Next, look at size you want without having to prune alot to keep it within your limits, and then look at texture, color, and blooming. Are you talking about one spot for one plant, or to fill a flowerbed of what size?

• christagayle
    14 years ago

Rose Creek Abelia is an evergreen flowering shrub. We just planted 3 in our backyard. They are very pretty & attract butterflies.
    Here's some info & a pic that I found online:
    'Rose Creek' is perhaps the densest and most compact form of Abelia to date. This attractive shrub makes a tidy and elegant summer flowering shrub. Evergreen leaves are shiny and become purple in cold weather. Tubular white flowers are 1/2" long and form in loose clusters. Occasional tip pruning encourages blooming until fall frost.

• petzold6596
    14 years ago

Check out the varieties of barberries. B. wilsonii 'Ace' might fit your need. They're available on the web but you might find them locally.