Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Need help choosing shrubs ASAP

This was on the gallery since it has a picture, but will find a wider readership on the main forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallery post with photo ...

Comments (5)

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

Thanks Roselee! I woudn't have seen that. I'm really awful at this because the only evergreen plants I can think of with reds,oranges or purples grow a lot taller than those windows and grow in acid soil, mild climate.
    I would suggest compact varieties. Compact yaupon/compact hawthorn, and compact Texas sage come to mind. I also use semi evergreen perenials and have evergreen vines on trellis with 6" between the wall and the vine. This "breathing space" is incredibly important as it will discourage bugs,mold, fungus, staining and animals from having access to your home.
    I personally would container the Thuga. If it is more vigerous than expected you can always move it that way. A large container like a whiskey barrel in size.
    Color will more likely come from woody perenials,perenials and/or annuals planted in front of the evergreens. Don't plant anything in a straight line. Staggering always looks better and plant in groups or swaths of odd numbers and pray one doesn't die leaving you with an even number :). The colors you describe are avalible in both big and small flowers and deciduous woody perenials. I would pick drought/sun tolerant varieties do to the afternoon sun you have. Knock out roses, sages, salvias, smaller, native hibiscus, grasses etc... Good luck.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those are wonderful suggestions above. I love the idea of Knock Out roses. I'm not sure about where you are, but they are evergreen here in San Antonio through the coldest winters we've had. One of the prettiest things I ever saw was red, pink and blush Knock Outs planted together at the S.A. Botanical center.

They are not evergreen, but the perennial Henry Duelberg salvias take the brunt of full sun and bloom purple all summer.

I don't worry too much about having a lot of evergreens in my yard because Texas winters are pretty short. A few, like dwarf youpon hollies, might be good at the end of beds of Knock Out roses to give a little definition.

Also making the beds plenty wide to accomadate two or three staggered rows of plants means that much less grass to mow.

Another thing you can do is drive around neighborhoods to see what they've done and copy what you like.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide on.

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

Pictures when you're done! :)

• chakas_mom
    13 years ago

Thanks! I'm near the DFW airport. Looks like I will be bust planting this weekend. I love salvia and knock outs. Luckily, I just got a gift card from the Home Depot gardening club for a free rose bush. Unfortunately, I do not have all the time to work in the yard as I would like. My little boy seems occupy all of my time now. :) I recently went to Cali and just fell in love with all of the color. It seems that half the shrubs/trees are red or orange. Will post pics. Thanks again!

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

chakas, I'm from Cali, the acid soil,mild climate part and the hot/dry alkaline part. I'd love to see pictures when you're done. How old is your son? Maybe he can help?