Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Harlequin Bugs YUCK!!

I was out stringing stringbean in the Thunderstorm. I planted them a while back and now the vines are taking off in quick growing snakes on the ground. My strings on my structure had rotted after 4 years. I picked the back end of a inch of rain to replace them in. I will love the idea of rain before august is over. I like being out in it.Thunder is nice too. Rain cooled 60's is nice too. Wet caliche is cool and smooth between the toes and the cats will soon be rolling in the dust of the caliche, but today, they are running tracks in patterns on the muddy driveway.

I was having an idilic afternoon in the light remaining drizzle when I saw that dreaded yellow and black pattern all over my Italian Kale and Thai rat tailed radish. I yanked the large rat tailed plants out. They were seething and dumped them far far away then I ran for my tub of soapy water and started to pick away in the gathering wet dusk.They tried to take refuge in the folds of the leeks but I kept at them . They climbed up the fennel and they don't even LIKE fennel. I got them too. I think my anger kept the mosquitos at bay. We are having holy kale in noodles tonight with purple carrots and parsnips seasoned with fake saffron seasoning. If I chop the kale no one will notice the holes, right?

Comments (7)

• robyn_tx
    10 years ago

Boo to harlequin bugs! But love the image in my mind's eye of you puttering in your garden in the cool drizzle! We got rain and coolness in Dallas tonight - it is mahhhhhvelous!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I planted more beans today. half runners, rattlesnake beans, and cream peas. The dinner was good and the holes not evident at all.All is good.

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    10 years ago

Wantonamara,

I learned about Harlequin bugs 2 years ago. OMG, I would have never suspected so many bugs could thrive on such few plants.

Did you figure out how to kill them? What spray to use on edible plants??

Xtal

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I use the caveman selective organic method .I take a yogurt tub of soapy water and a cup of coffee. I drink the coffee and pick the little buggers and throw them in the tub. When the coffee is done , I am done. I check back in the evening with a glass of Ice tea and a tub of soapy water. Three days later there are just a few bugs, SO FAR. I keep looking and picking one or 6 on my trips out. I am especially gleeful when there is a coitus interuptus. I keep a tub of soapy water out there to throw the occasional bug into. Today I will dump the evidence of my mass slaughter into the bushes.

• southofsa
    10 years ago

Mara- that sounds pretty civilized. I just squish 'em. Hornworms I stomp (be careful that green stuff really squirts and doesn't come out in the wash very well). Accompanied by coffee in the morning and wine in the evening. I couldn't do it when I first started growing veggies, but one year there were so many and I never had a water bucket with me when I needed it I just closed my eyes and did it.

Lisa

• robyn_tx
    10 years ago

"Caveman selective organic method." Love it. Sounds like my style, but with wine in the evening!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had to give up the wine so it is coffee and tea for me. But I now pick and preen my plants. How do you guys control harlequin bugs and squash beetles? I founds sprays nots so effective. I lost the war on squash bugs last year. This year I am not even doing squash. I see them still running around looking for squash. God those critters I absolutely HATE! At least the Harlequin bugs are pretty and brightly patterned. You can see them.