Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
will this work?

Posted by taterbug z7TX (My Page) on
Sun, May 27, 12 at 22:49

I have a lot of zinnia, sunflower and cosmos seeds and want to create a cutting garden. Last year I had put down cardboard and mulch in an area that I hoped to make a new bed.

The soil is clay so to amend I am trying a 'quick' lasagna bed. I raked away some of the previous mulch, placed compost and leaves, then added a couple of inches of garden soil on the top. Do you think it will be successful to sow the seeds this year, or do you think I should wait? What will happen to the roots when they reach the leaves and compost? I don't want to waste these seeds.

Second concern is how to keep the seeds moist this late. It is already so hot here. Could I cover the bed with clear plastic for a few days? Thanks, taterbug

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: will this work?

That is how all of my beds were done.

Toss out 1/2 of your seeds. And save some for later.
Mine reseed and come back each year. Just wet the soil once in a while.
No plastic, in this heat they would probably roast.

Fall 2011 reseed from spring 2011. This was during last years drought. They got water twice a month once they came up.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Beautiful, Kathy, I do so love zinnias.........they are such a happy little flower.

o

The reason I considered the plastic is the part beagle that is free to dig in that newly placed compost and thus the seeds. But, I agree with you, I think the seeds would roast. Thanks for suggesting 1/2 the seeds. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Your flowers are beautiful. Thanks, taterebug

o

You are certainly welcome.

o

To keep the part beagle out you could either fence off the area or cover it with hardware cloth. At least, the latter is what I've seen recommended for other digging animals. Evidently, they don't like scratching into it for some reason. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here