Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A pond - any thoughts ?

Posted by ibheri 9 (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 11 at 23:08

I really don't know where to start but I was thinking about having a small pond. I live in a suburban neighbourhood and I am not sure what the restrictions could be. Has anyone built one ? Any suggestions of where I should start with? I did see a pond forum in garden web but even before I dive into that thought I will share my idea here with all of you and hear your thoughts. Maybe this is a long term project, something in year's time but I want to start gathering some information. Do I want to grow fish in it?I don't know, maybe to start with just a small waterfall into a pond with some plants and rocks.. I have a 3 year old, so most importantly safety is primary.

looking fwd to hear from you.
Indu

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A pond - any thoughts ?

I'm a paranoid mom and I freely admit it. (I've worked with a lot of damaged kids at work.) If I had to have a water garden or pond of any kind around children it would be a stock tank pond with the safety nets installed like a pool.(The ones you can stand on etc...) Kids can drown in a few seconds. That just freaks me out.

o

We have container ponds that flow into each other with the pump output running by a hose to the top pond. We just grow plants since we do have a neighbor that occasionally fogs his yard for mosquitoes and we lost the goldfish from poisoning. I love my pond-lets and sometime in the future want a series of liner ponds that flow from a waterfall at the top to a deep pond, then streams to smaller and shallower ponds for plants.

In our old house we had a nice water garden out in front and it was an attractive nuisance. Kids were always standing on the rocks and once someone put soap in it. Back yard with good fencing would be my preference.

PJ, we have two pond less water features. One is a bubbler rock that flows through river stone and into it's buried container and the other is one of those concrete balls where the water flows out of the top and over the ball, then into Mexican beach pebbles and the buried container. Absolutely no drowning risk unless the kid moves a lot of heavy stone to get to the container.

o

PK and PJ, thank you for your response. Can you please share some pictures? It wouold help me to get some ideas. Thank you once again for taking the time and cautioning me against potential dangers.
I was actually considering front yard too as I have more space in the front yard, never thought about the attractive nuisance part, as soon as I read it removed any ideas of a front yard pond :) I do have a good fencing in the sides and back yard.

o

Buy a water garden book or check out one at the library. My Lowes has a good selection of preformed pool bases as well as miscellaneous assessories. Just jump into the project. You will learn a lot of what works by experience.

o

I think a pondless water feature until your child is a bit older would just be perfect. I have a very shallow fountain that I put together with a small pump,a large pot w/o a drain hole, and rocks,shells and filter media(blue filter stuff for aquariums around the pump to protect it from flotsam.). It's about 10" deep but adding more rocks,shells etc... would make it even more shallow. The dogs love it and won't drink out of thier water anymore. It went from a patio water feature to a fancy dog dish.

o

Sure, I have pictures!

The rock bubbler in my woodland garden

Photobucket

The ball fountain...this one loses a lot more water in wind

Photobucket

The pond-lets

Photobucket

o

We've had ponds for the last 15 years, and I totally agree with pjtexgirl. Do a search for disappearing waterfall. You can get the sound of water and the beauty of a waterfall, without the danger to a little one. When kids come over to our house, they are drawn to the water like a magnet and they either want to throw rocks in, walk on the rock edge (which is not mortared in), or kneel down and lean in. I have to be on guard constantly and can't enjoy talking to their parents when they are here.

Right now we are down to two ponds, one big one (but never big enough), and one that is a walk-in for wild creatures.

We did have one in the front yard, close to the front door, for awhile and it was a pain. Neighborhood dogs were always getting in it, and once someone's cows got loose and one of them got in it. It was a preformed plastic pond and that cow was the end of that pond. It cracked and couldn't be repaired, so we got rid of it and filled in the hole. I always worried about kids getting into it too, even though it was in a protected alcove by our front door. Much better to have it in the back yard if anything can get into it. A bubbler or disappearing water spout would work in front though.

Also, if you don't have fish, you'll have to do something for mosquitoes, either mosquito dunks if you have plants, or a little bleach if it is just plain water.

o

PK, thank you for your pictures, the ponds are really cute, liked the pondlets a lot.
Marti8a, i looked up at disappearing waterfalls, thanks for the tip. A good idea to consider, i will read more.

o

PK, I loved seeing the pictures of your wonderful water features. Thank you for posting them

o

Thanks ibheri and Ragnaa :-) I get a lot of joy from them.

o

Pkponder, your water gardens are perfect for kids. They are also lovely. I hope you don't mind if I steal a couple ideas :). My favorite is the rock reflecting pool(?) with the big water worn branch/root that looks like it would pour into it during rain. I hope that makes sense. (The very first picture if it doesn't).

martia8, I can't tell you how much I wish you had a picture of the cow in your preformed pond. There is no way I'd be calm enough to think of getting a camera but I wish someone had.

I have a 5 gallon water container in front (oriental pot thing) with a rather pathetic umbrella plant trying to come back in it. It also has a small pump to circulate water. I'll try to post pics later but I'm painting the wall of my back porch so I may not have time.

o

Hi All, just wanted to share some info I got from the pond forum. There is an awesome website called pondlady.com for those of you who maybe intrested in ponding. She is based out of New Orleans and I believe one of the best in Southwest region. Tons of information. Also books by Helen Nash. I put a hold request on a few, will post more after I read. Have a gr8 week end and stay cool. Hope Houston gets some rain. Prediction is 30%.
Indu

o

pjtexgirl, I didn't think of grabbing the camera. When I saw that big thing in my pond I opened the door and started screaming at it "Get out, get out!" And it just looked at me and then calmly stepped out and ambled on down the road with it's friends.

Once before, before we had a fence around the backyard, some longhorns escaped their fence (life in the country isn't always idyllic) and headed toward our septic tanks. I stupidly ran out of the house waving my arms and one took a step toward me. I quickly climbed the kids' fort/slide and yelled at them until they left. Got a cracked tank lid from that encounter.

Cows are stupid.

o

Hey PJ! That's why we post pics, to give others ideas :-)
That's my big honking piece of driftwood that I've moved twice and I had never noticed that it looks like a down spout kind of! The rock has running water and only holds about 1 cup of actual water. My 3 year old grandson loves to fill that small cavity with the river rocks. kids do love water!

o

PK :)

Marti, Cows look great in pictures and it's neat to see them along the road, but a huge, hairy plant composter doesn't sound like a lot of fun in a garden. I'm glad you didn't get hurt and I'm sorry about your tank. It must be difficult to keep cows penned up. It they rushed a fence it seems like it would be like a semi truck running through.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here