Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raised Garden Questions

Posted by nan59 none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 0:16

This was our first year at a raised garden. The black-eyed & purple hull peas did great, but that is all. The squash, cucumber, beans & zucchini made beautiful plants but very little to no fruit. The corn only grew to about 3 ft and produced very small ears. I started out with garden soil from a local landscape company and used miracle grow once a month. I did put some iron on the beds after a 6 inch rain and we had alot of yellow leaves. Any suggestions, I would like to plant in the fall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raised Garden Questions

Do a soil test. Maybe the soil is lacking something. I add compost, cottonmeal greensand. I am always adding something. I do garden organically. I am always building the soil with something. Is there a nursery that does a organic approach? Their soil is usually better.

o

I've been told to fertilize the plants at the beginning but then to stop feeding them after they've matured or all you'll get is nice pretty plants with no fruit. I haven't researched it, but it seems logical.

o

One can change the fertilizer from one that pushes more Nitrogen to one that encourages flowering. This is true for tomatoes.

I get out and make sure that the squashes and cukes are fertilized by taking makle flowers and taking on the role of pollinator. . Also timing is crucial of WHEN you planted your plants.

o

Hey nan59,

I live in Katy/Houston area and have had some troubles myself, yet very successful with several things I planted. I planted everything in late February / Early march. Here are some pictures of my raised beds and similar issues with the squash, cucumbers, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: plants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here