Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
supaflyz

brick pavers

supaflyz
13 years ago

Hey guys I've just finish digging all the dirt on the side of my house. It was painstaking work lol. I manage to dig at least 6-7 inches deep. I did some research and I heard it's best to have a one inch slope for every four feet. I'm planning to spray the whole thing with round up. Then I put garden plastic over it to prevent future grass from growing. Then I plan on to put small pebbles and some rocks as a base. I'm also planning to put polymeric sand over it. I heard the shape act as a interlock making it stick together. However, I have yet to find a site that tell you to leave something around the edge of the working area to prevent the sand from flowing out if it rains. Should I build a concrete around the edge so the sand won't get out?

Comments (7)

• supaflyz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I also forgot to ask you guys what size of pebbles should I buy? I read somewhere that size 4 or something works the best? I have no idea since I never built one.

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

I have seen pavers put down on gardening shows and they use some sort of edging made for pavers that hold everying in place. I think once you sweep in the polymer sand and wet it that sort of binds it. Just a gentle mist not a blast of water. I would think any kind of edging material would hold your pebbles in place.

• cynthianovak
    13 years ago

I made a long pathway last summer. I used regular sand and it does flow out. Mine had a concrete edge (built around the house in the 50's) on one side. I did not put anything under the bricks. I used the tumbled ones so I didn't have to think about perfect corners coming together.

I LOVE IT

It has stayed level even with all the rain.

This year, I'm using the actual Paver Sand to fill the cracks. It's more expensive....of course!

But it is not as fine. I used it under a large basin fountain recently. I was so impressed. The sand grains are different...more irregular and should resist erosion.

I got it at HD if you want to take a look.

It is so gratifying to build a walkway and boy was I happy when the rains came!

c

• supaflyz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the advice Cynthia. So you only had sand as the base? Then you bought polymeric sand to sweep through the crack of the paver to hold it together? Since you said the polymeric sand is more expensive than the regular one, I might reconsider my plan. Since I already going to use small rocks and pebbles to serve as the base. Could I use the regular sand to level the pavers. Then buy polymeric sand to sweep it through the crack. I'm still worried about the sand flowing out. I saw a youtube video of Lowes. The guy put some kind of metal thing to hold the pavers in place, but I think the sand will flow out since its not seamless.

• cynthianovak
    13 years ago

I used nothing under the bricks. My soil is very stable and rather sandy on top. I just used a rake to "level" it. Then, I used plain old playsand in the cracks. It worked fine, but where the rain flowed heavily off the roof, it ran out and bermuda grass is there.

I also sweep mine often because my dogs toss dirt and straw on it. It has been surprisingly stable. I'm sure an edge would be good. only one side is unedged for me. BUT I am still in awe that it does not appear to run everywhere. I assume it is because there isn't much in there to begin with.

I was impressed with the paversand stuff and it looks like it will hold together even better.

good luck

c

• seamommy
    13 years ago

Instead of sand and pebbles under the pavers I would really, really recommend you put decomposed granite. It binds together and forms a really stable base for the pavers. I used sand and pebbles under a patio, and edged it with rigid plastic forms, and over the past several years the pebbles shifted and the sand has washed out and been carried out by the buttload by ants and the patio looks like a train wreck. It looked OK for about 3 years, but now it looks like we just threw the pavers down on the ground. They have shifted so much that each year larger and larger weeds have been able to take root between them and it takes two large containers of roundup to control them.

The decomposed granite was cheaper than sand and pebbles. I used it for the floor of my greenhouse and laid pavers over it. It's porous but does not require laying down plastic to prevent weeds growing through it. It bonds tightly and if you sweep it into the cracks between pavers it locks them very tightly. I shaped the floor of the greenhouse so it is slightly higher in the middle and lower around the edges so that water would run off and it has maintained that shape very well. Cheryl

• lovelylandscaping
    12 years ago

Deciding upon a Brick Paver is a brilliant choice for many homes.Brick pavers last a lifetime, dry fast and are mildew resistant.You can choose from a variety of colors and shapes for your walkway, adding extra charm and personality to your home�s exterior.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brick Paver