Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are ya'll using for grasshoppers?

Posted by mistigardens TX 7/8 (mistigardens3@gmail.com) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 0:47

Please list as organic or not...as I have veggies being demolished by these demons! Anyone using the clay powder mix...like they use in pottery? Can't remember name but was advised by another organic. Just want to save my plants!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are ya'll using for grasshoppers?

Your post title made me laugh. I thought perhaps you were cooking with grasshoppers and couldn't find any and were looking for good substitutes. I was going to say that I use crickets when grasshoppers aren't in season.

Otherwise, I can't help you. I use sevin dust when I have to, although I rarely need it anymore. Pretty sure it's not organic!

o

I think you're talking about Nolo Bait.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nolo Bait

o

Nolo Bait knocked back the horde, then I got free-range chickens and it was the grasshoppers who had problems instead of me...

o

chickens. No grasshoppers, no snails, no slugs,no bugs, no weeds,no grass and the mulch is everywhere.
Tally HO!

o

I wish we could have chickens here!

o

Wish I could have chickens as well!

I was referring to Kaolin Clay. Anyone use this?

thanks

o

Check your city ordinances, as a great many allow hens and some even allow a rooster or two. (Those living under the dictates of an HOA's are another story).

Houston proper is one of the few major cities with near-draconian restrictions (from what I can tell, even Bellaire has more reasonable ordinances), but there is a current push to change the Houston restriction to something more reasonable with elements that work in other Texas metro areas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hens For Houston

o

Our city might, but our neighborhood restrictions don't. I'd have to get approval from the majority of the neighbors and I don't think they would approve.

o

I use Nolo bait. This year I may need to reapply it. The grasshoppers are extremely numerous.

o

The birds in my yard are eating them up :-) I still have damage to some plants but can't use anything because the birds are eating them. I hope my neighbors are not spraying anything. It's so cute to watch the sparrows and cardinal babies just hopping all over and getting the grasshoppers :-)

o

I've noticed that birds would fly to the bird bath to dunk grasshopper in the water before eating grasshoppers. I don't see to have much of grasshopper problem. Maybe I'm in the middle of nowhere with high bird populations helping keep grasshopper population down?

o

Nolo helped me sooo much. they came out in hordes in 2011 as if the drought wasn't enough... The only thing they wouldn't eat....black eyed peas... And I bought some guineas.... They destroy those suckers I giggle everytime I see a guinea get another one.....

o

they are getting bad 'round here, in inner city dallas. Haven't seen much damage, but keep encouraging my kids to catch them for great fishing bait!!!

o

fishbait....................got lots. on my second bag of nolo

o

I have them as well in Carrollton. Haven't seen many but they are a pest I want to get rid of.

o

am considering a lighter and a can of hairspray.......homemade torch for these grasshoppers. they have stripped 2 rose bushes and r eating my cannas

o

I'm guessing that some of the birds who dine well on all the birdseed and suet I put out probably like the grasshoppers to add more protein to their diet, because I don't often see any!

o

I didn't know that the drought was driving up the grasshopper population. This article from Texas Gardener's Newsletter 'SEEDS' tells how:

Grasshoppers break out" but not as copiously as in 2011
By Robert Burns
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service

"After a dry winter, as expected, grasshoppers are becoming a problem, but they are not as severe or profuse as they were during the 2011 drought, according to a Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service expert.

“ 'It’s mid-summer and the grasshoppers have gotten bigger; they’re now winged, so they’re moving into other crops and orchards,' said Dr. Allen Knutson, an AgriLife Extension entomologist, Dallas.

"As they were in 2011, this year’s grasshopper outbreaks are connected to drought conditions, he said. From July through the fall, grasshoppers deposit their eggs 0.5 to 2 inches below the soil surface. On an average year, fungus and other diseases take a toll on egg survival, thereby reducing the first generation grasshoppers that hatch in the spring.

"But most of the fungi and diseases affecting egg survival depend upon moist conditions, so during a drought year, outbreaks are expected, Knutson said.

"But the outbreaks this year, at least so far, have been spotty", he said.

“'Though some areas have had good rains, which reduce grasshopper populations, others have not, and they’ll still have problems,' he said. 'They are intense in some areas, while others don’t have any.'

"Reports from AgriLife Extension county agents support Knutson’s account.

"Logan Lair, AgriLife Extension agent in Navarro County, northeast of Waco, reported, “Grasshoppers, grasshoppers, grasshoppers; they are back and with a vengeance. This is affecting hay production.”

"Heath Lusty, AgriLife Extension agent in Lampasas County, north of Austin, reported that along with hot, dry, windy conditions, 'grasshoppers are a serious issue in some parts of the county.'

"In East Texas, where grasshopper infestations were especially severe in 2011, there was only one county reporting outbreaks in June, that of Rich Hirsch, AgriLife Extension agent in Henderson County, west of Tyler."

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Gardener Magazine - Past Newsletters are Available for Viewing

o

we don`t have many on the island anyway. I guess they don`t swim all that well.

Houston is changing their ordinances on chickens, they either voted or are going to vote soon and the chicken people are making happy noises.
Tally Ho!

o

Thanks again for all the info.

Beachplant, you mention Houston, and we don`t have many on the island anyway. ....what island?

o

I don't have many grasshopper problems due to a hungry bunch of non chicken birds. The hill country is not very friendly to them. I did see a few during the drought but then , I didn't have many plants alive for them to eat. They kept dying in my sink.

here is what my go to site for Organic solutions says. They have a couple of solutions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arbico grasshopper page

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here