Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kakashii

foundation soaker hoses

kakashii
10 years ago

I want to give my foundation some water. I have sprinkler system. but I am considering soaker hoses or Dip hose. The problem is local Home depot have all soaker hose with bad review. most people complain that they don't last 1 year. also mow or weed whacker can be a problem too.

any suggestions what should i use. what brand and so on.

Comments (6)

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

Try a web search on "laser drilled soaker hose". We've had this type on our slab irrigation circuit for over a decade with no problems in durability. They are much tougher than the "rubber" porous-type soaker hoses. While they'll stand up to a weed whacker, we've still managed to inflict three punctures with shovels/shears over the years. But they're very easy to repair with slide-on or barbed couplings. Like the porous hoses, ours were rated for surface (under mulch okay) use only. However, noticed buried installations are listed as okay for some of the current hoses (assuming there's a backflow device ahead of it).

Most of this seems to have moved to 1/4" tubing, which is smaller than what was used when we installed. Would expect performance to be similar as long as the layout is adapted for the smaller diameter. Some installation instructions can be found at the link shown below.... though for basic foundation watering, I'd probably see what kind of flow distribution I could get at the local pressure in a 50+ ft run before going to the trouble of segmenting it any smaller.

Hose can be found at a number of on-line suppliers, but be sure to check with a source or brand from/for which adapters, couplings, end caps, and other essentials can easily be priced when evaluating as these little bits add up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laser drilled soaker hose instructions

This post was edited by bostedo on Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 13:37

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I bought my soaker hoses at Lowe's. They are Gilmour brand and have metal connections and a lifetime guarantee. I have been replacing all my soaker hoses with these, but the laser drilled soaker hoses sound good too - if only they were sold in my area.

• kakashii
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you I will try to find one locally,Gilmour brand, my lowes and homedepot only have the plastic ones that are flat and can fold. I hate to order online and then have problems. Gilmour brand and have metal connections and a lifetime guarantee. how does that work. I know some MFG give lots of trouble about exchanging the product.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I kept the cardboard part with the name, UPC and warranty info. It says return to store. These aren't as smooth as the other soaker hoses I've bought. They feel more like dried snakeskin (or maybe live snakeskin, I wouldn't know about that).

• kakashii
    Original Author
    10 years ago

marti8a, are you soaker hose green color and golden metal connections. can you provide a link to them from lowes or take a picture of the box for model number. I can not seem to find it at lowes website. I found the green color and golden metal connections on Google. Thanks

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I looked on both Lowes and Home Depot websites and didn't find it on either one, but I bought this one just a few weeks ago so I know they are there. It's black, not green.

Here is a link to it on the Gilmour website and it appears they changed the name a little but the model number is the same .

(the label is faded because I left it on the deck for a couple of weeks before using it)

This post was edited by marti8a on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 17:42

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks