Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patty_cakes_gw

nightime lawn critters...

patty_cakes
10 years ago

Last Sunday evening I looked out the front window and a Raccoon was eating something in the grass by one of the Live Oak trees. He sat there quite awhile, scratching the ground occasionally, but when I looked the next morning there were no holes dug or spots of missing grass. Nothing seemed to have been disturbed. A few evenings later I looked out to see if he was back, and either an Owl(i've heard hooting for a couple of weeks off and on)or a hawk was sitting at the corner of my lot line, but I couldn't tell if he was 'feasting'. I had dillo dumped on the lawn about a month ago, and with the rains has pretty much soaked in. As for the dillo, have read the cons so it's the first and the last time.

I dug up a few inches of soil after seeing the first critter, thinking it might be grubs, but not a trace of any sort of unusual insect. Does anyone have an idea what is so edible in my yard?

Comments (7)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Maybe he packs his evening high tea and likes your yard as a picnicking spot.

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you think you're being funny? Maybe you should take your sense of humor to another forum where it can be appreciated. Maybe you should keep yourself busy on your 'small piece of land with the wild life exemption' and plant some flowers instead of trying to be a stand up comic.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Patty, How did I hurt your feelings. I am very confused and saddened.I will not try to be humorous with you again.

Maybe he brought something to eat on your lawn. That was my premise. Nothing else.

I do find it interesting. I hate coons. I have been fighting them tearing apart my bird feeder. I spent hours lining duck tape with tacks and wrapping the chain , putting a galvanized cone above it the feeder, and redesigning the branches on three trees so he couldn't leap on it.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 16:41

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mara, just thought you were being a smart***, not that my feeling were hurt~i'm not that wimpy. I didn't see anything on the lawn that he could have 'brought,', but thanks for the thought. I live in a housing development, and don't even see squirrels, let alone a raccoon~I found it strange. At one time I had 3 living in the backyard, and would see them at night jumping from tree to tree like monkeys. This was in CA in a condo complex, so I guess there's is no place they won't try to inhabit, little buggers.

Good luck with the feeder. I had squirrels do the same thing.;o)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Maybe he is after some bugs, beetles or larvae roaming on top of the dirt that the dillo dirt brought in. That would be only a matter of pawing on the ground. Nothing would be disturbed. Maybe these bugs only come out at night.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Maybe he is snacking on cicadas that are coming out of the soil right about now and heading for the oak trees. It is their time and I heard it is the year of the 17 year species to come out in places up north. I don't know where you are or where that species are but they come out in hoards and head for the trees creeping over the ground and wildlife, and mammals feast on them.There are so many species and ours down here come out every year and some come out cyclically also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cicada video

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I like Mara's humor :-)

No idea what the raccoon was eating. Why don't you go out with a flashlight next time and see?