Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Falll Blooming Asters

Posted by carrie751 z7/8 TX (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 8:20

Anyone else have blooms on theirs at this time???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Falll Blooming Asters

Nope, not my Asters, but I don't know how many times I've deadheaded my mums but they are just determined they're going to bloom.

I've heard that Asters should be cut back in late June, is that right?

o

Yes, Carrie. Mine are blooming and have been for a month.
Jim

o

Is this common for yours to do this, Jim? It is the first time mine have bloomed this early. I also saw blooms on my Copper Canyon daisy this morning.
Sheryll, I do not cut my fall blooming aster back in June. It freezes back in the winter and I cut it back after that.

o

First time here also, Carrie. The mums always bloom in the spring and again in the fall, but not the asters. I have Philippine violets, which are normally a fall bloomer here, putting on blooms too.
Jim

o

The fall blooming aster bloomed here a few weeks ago. Copper canyon daisy has also been flowering since early spring as has Senna corymbosa that Carrie recommended. Shall we give the spring rains after a mild winter credit?

BTW, mums I've had through the years often bloomed spring and fall. The dark red one I have now passed along by Barbra is blooming.

o

All of my mums bloom now and in the fall EXCEPT the old fashioned ones that are not upright, and they bloom only in the fall. The color of this one that I have is white with a yellow center, and I find it quite attractive. It is definitely a "pass along" plant, and I am sure I have had it for many, many years.

o

Well, then, I'll just let the mums bloom! My Copper Canyon Daisy isn't blooming.

o

My asters are starting to bloom as well. Hope this doesn't stop them from blooming in fall whey they are really needed.

Teri

o

Carrie ~

Could this be another result of our no-hard-freeze winter? (along with early and worse allergens, and worse bug activity, etc)

~ freshair

o

I really don't know, Amy, but that is certainly a possibility...........not the norm for the plants and they are responding in this manner. And I agree, Teri, I hope this doesn't mean they won't bloom in the fall.......I so look forward to their beauty at that time of the year.

o

I think it's normal for mums to try to bloom now. Folk wisdom says pinch those buds off until July 4th. Then let them bloom.
I too have seen a few scattered blooms on Autumn Aster, which I assume is from the odd seasons this year. Don't know what, if anything, you're supposed to do about that. . .

o

I meant to respond to this earlier. My Aster laevis or smooth leaved aster is blooming but not the Aster oblongifolius. It's been doing this for a couple of years and I still get a nice flush in the fall too.

Pam

o

That is good to know, Pam, as this is the first time mine has bloomed in the Spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here