Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late for cushaws?

Posted by queenb z8b East TX (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 8:37

I'm wondering if it would be too late in the season to start a second crop of cushaw squash. My first set of vines are doing poorly for the most part, with only one vine producing a decent-sized fruit. The others are stunted and have stunted fruits, or none at all, and are no longer growing or flowering. (My butternuts are still going bananas!)

I'm pretty sure I know what I did wrong for this batch and would like to try again. We have a fairly long growing season, so I was thinking it *might* be okay to try. Opinions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late for cushaws?

Go for it! My husband grw up with these monsters. If memory serves me, I've planted in late June early July and they were ready in the fall. I stopped growing them because their vines cause blisters on my arms.

To anyone who has never grown them, they grow vines that can be very long. The leaves look like giant lily pads and the squash can be 10 pounds or more.

BTw I have seeds from a more orange flesh squash that is shaped like a cushaw only more orange than just the green and white. I bought it in the fall to roast and freeze for him. Would you like the seeds? I'll mail them to you if you email me.

c

o

• Posted by queenb z8b East TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 9:34

I was just looking at getting some seeds for the orange striped version. I'd love some!

o

• Posted by queenb z8b East TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 17:11

Cynthia -- just wanted to let you know that the day after I got the seeds, I planted 8 in a mound way in the back so they'd get plenty of room to grow. I went out today, and I have 4 very healthy seedings! It took them awhile to come up, and the ants got a couple of the seeds. Go figure, they're coming up right in the middle of a heatwave, but they're semi-shaded, and they love this kind of weather. Thanks so much for sharing!

o

That is great news!
When we had them, they moved from part shade to sunlight. But they would produce in both. I gave gthem names: Bill and Hill...Hoss and Little Joe. ou get the idea. When they come up there are often more than one on the same vine and several vines going in different directions from one plant.

Stand back....here they come!
c

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here