Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving & storing Iris

Posted by ladybugfruit 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 8:55

Well, our house has sold and I will be moving the plants I am taking with me in the heat of summer, YIPES.
Now, I seem to remember that I can just dig out my iris, cut them back and store them in a crate. Is that correct? Anything else special I should do? I am a bit nervous about some of the rest of my family heirloom plants as well. I am getting the moisture control potting mix for my other plants ( salvia greggi, daylillies, asters, bouncing bet, obedients) and hoping for the best. On top of that, it looks like we will be moving to a rent house for now since we can't seem to find "our" house yet. I am so hoping my babies will do ok in pots all summer. Thanks for any advice and input!!
LBF

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving & storing Iris

We moved last summer and the garden was so sad looking until fall! Keep the pots in a shady area for a bit then ease them into the sun. Your listed plants should be fine in pots and are pretty hardy, so I bet everything will be fine. Sorry, no experience with storing iris.

Pam

o

Thanks for the encouragement! Hoping someone else can chime in soon on the irises as I have to (sniff) disassemble my garden tomorrow.

o

You should be able to store your iris bulbs in a cool, dry place for quite some time (several months at least) before getting them into the ground. I have heard of keeping bulbs (though not specifically irises) in the refrigerator.

o

Sure wish you good fortune with your Iris I do know I have transplanted them in the summer in Colorado and they didn't miss a lick so I know they are tough. Enjoy your new location and I believe your iris will do just fine in their new home as long as it has good soil. I enjoy trying to grow them here and have been blessed with a few more blooms each year. The roots do rot some in my area and I have to try and keep them on top of the soil so they don't. My neighbors enjoy them so I will keep trying as long as I can. I do hope you don't have to store them too long, if not I wouldn't remove the leaves either. I wish you well.
Paul

o

Dig the iris roots and lay them out in a shady spot for a week or so to let them dry out. Then remove the leaves and let them dry again. Then get a couple large bags of peat and paper lunch bags. Store your iris roots in paper bags filled with peat. Stack the bags in the crate and maybe lay some newspaper between the layers. The peat will help them stay dry and the bags will keep them separated so they don't glom together and rot. Then as long as you can keep them out of the heat, maybe in a cool, dark closet they should all be ready to go back into the ground once you get resettled. The biggest problem with roots like that is heat and moisture that breeds mold. Keep 'em cool and dry and you're golden.

o

Yes, keep them dry. If not they will mold.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here