Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are you plantingany veggies?

Posted by cynthianovak 7/8 TX (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 9:22

I have a large area in a raised bed garden. It's available now since the taters are dug and the cool herbs and greens are too.

I thought about winter squash or gourds, but the thought of all those heavy vines trumped the excitement.

MAybe there is a variety that isn't too big and is easy to grow.

I also thought about planting lots of zinnias.

There is only so much basil one woman can get excited about, but maybe I'll do some more exotic ones...any suggestions?

Thanks all
c

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are you plantingany veggies?

Malabar spinach and okra. (plus the basil!)

o

I saw a commercial garden in East Austin planting arugala in June during last years heat and they planned on harvesting as baby-greens. They would harvest them before they bolted. My arugala that I planted late is still going but showing signs of bolting. I am thinking of planting another crop.

How about southern peas. I like eating them like string beans. Or sweat potatoes.

o

Eggplant! I picked up 3 of the asian kind at walmart a few weeks ago, and we're ready to harvest some now.

I winter sowed swiss chard and we're still harvesting, I use it as a salad green mixed with purchased romaine and purple cabbage. Have several parsley plants in the flower beds too. I'm seriously thinking of starting some red swiss chard to see if it can survive the summer or not.

Of course I have a few tomato plants that I'll keep alive through the summer for a late fall harvest, and the usual basil plants too.

o

I'm about to plant okra and black-eyed peas. They actually LIKE the heat! But, to have enough produce to do anything with, you need to plant a number of plants. At least, that's been my experience.

o

I am pulling out my green beans and planting black-eyed peas as well. Everything else is still producing.

o

My vining yardlong are just starting to produce now. They are slow getting started but then they kick into gear with the heat. I am going to be planting cow peas.

o

My arugula planted last fall is covered with seed pods. I love it so I will definitely save some seeds and get some volunteers.

I have some chard and spinach that I neglected. I'll try to cut them way back and see if they will produce in the heat. I didn't know they could.

Now to pick up a couple of pkts of exotic basil if I can find them. Can't have too much pesto in the freezer.....right?

c

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here