Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Tea bush, Texas tea bush, pyramid bush for sale?

If anyone sees this plant at a San Antonio nursery please let me know. I purchased two of them years ago from Rainbow Gardens, but heard their supplier went out of business. Maybe they will get them from another supplier, but I don't go there that often and might miss them. They didn't survive last winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas tea bush ....

Comments (7)

• gailtx
    13 years ago

I have ordered this plant online from Bustani Plant Farms (located in Oklahoma). It seems too hot to get plants in the mail right now, though, doesn't it. I am in New Braunfels. I am a long-time reader of this forum but don't post often. I can bring you a plant at the next plant exchange if you like. It is a great plant, isn't it.

• gailtx
    13 years ago

By the way, I had only one in the ground over the winter and thought it had not survived but it did come back eventually and is starting to bloom now. It loves the hot weather! In the meantime, I ordered some more from Bustani but the deer were nibbling the new young plants in the landscape, so recently potted them up till they could get bigger. You are welcome to one of these repotted plants if you want.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow thanks! That is very generous of you. I would dearly love to have it again. Also glad to hear that the nursery in Oklahoma is offering it.

Yes, it loves hot weather and the deer never bothered it here. The strange thing is that it never produced any seed that I could find, nor did it spread. I never tried to root it, but will now to be sure to keep it going.

I'm glad to hear that yours survived. I keep watching the spot hoping mine will reappear, but nothing.

See you at the S. A. plant swap! I'll be happy to pass along anything I have that you can use :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Texas tea bush returned! I had even pulled up the dead sticks. At first I thought they might be a weed, but no, it's them alright.

So Gail I won't have to take advantage of your geneous offer. Thank you so much anyway.

Wow. Still can't believe it. I love those little plants :-)

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    12 years ago

Bustani Farm no longer ships plants, although they do offer this plant in the spring. Does anyone know where else this plant might be offered via mailorder?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

Maybe I ripped my pyramid bush out too early. I grew them years ago and then they disappeared. They had disappeared out of the stores. I have seen them at the Natural Gardener in Austin. I would call ahead because they seem to be letting their stock run down, maybe because of the heat and a slow down in business.. They will order things for you on request also.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They are certainly a very worthy little plant. I've had two for several years that I purchased at Rainbow Gardens in S.A., but the grower that was supplying them passed away.

I've never had them seed out, but that may be because I use a lot of mulch; nor have I noticed anything that looked like seeds on them.

Just now I brought some little clusters of green on the stem below the blooms that I think may be immature seeds so will be watching them closely to try recue any seeds that form so I can pass them around. While doing that I noticed they had been nipped by deer which they've NEVER done before.

I read on D's garden that stems would root if layered on so I'll try that.

Mine were VERY slow comeing back after last winter. I think it was June before I saw some growth coming up a little ways over from where the original plant was. I was very glad to see them again, but I want more!

They are very drought tolerant. I've never seen them wilt.