Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
boohoo - Antique Rose Emporium in SA closing

Posted by meriberi 8b/9a (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 10:07

ARE just sent an email saying they're closing their San Antonio location in July - boo! At least I'm not the only one who struggles to garden in scorching, dry San Antonio, but if the professionals can't hack it, I'm sunk! ;)

Oh well. If anyone else knows a good local source for roses, let me know. Otherwise I'll have to come up with a better idea for Mother's Day gifts! ;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: boohoo - Antique Rose Emporium in SA closing

I just hate to hear that, wonder if it's as you say with the weather, the economy, or what? Wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of the nurseries go strictly mail order.

o

I am also saddened by the news as I'm sure we all are. What's even sadder is that it's another sign of the economic hard times -- they just don't sell enough to pay for staying open. At least the Brenham location and their mail order business will not be discontinued. Many great rose growers have closed for good in the last couple of years and others are on the brink.

I so enjoyed being able to view the roses growing in the landscape before buying, but most appreciated were the unusual and hard to find companion plants they offered, as well as their workshops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's the newsletter about their closing ...

o

• Posted by ruthz 8a dfw texas (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 21:49

OH NO!!
I haven't even gotten to go there yet.
We planned to next time we go down that way.

o

NOOOOOO!!!

Of the two locations, I have always thought that the San Antonio location is the most beautiful.

Anyone who hasn't gone yet, or is local in San Antonio, PLEASE go visit & take lots of pictures.
It's inspirational!

If I wasn't 8 months pregnant, I'd go this weekend and take pics just to post them for the rest of you!

o

For burntplants and all those who can't make it down to San Antonio to say farewell to The Antique Rose Emporium gardens here I've linked my blog post here.

Most of the photos were taken Friday the 15th before I knew they were closing. I also linked to my previous ARE posts at the bottom of the page.

I'll try to get back for a few final photos before they close.

Here is a link that might be useful: ARE

o

Thanks Shirley for your links. I put the same links on the Antique Rose Forum.

Also I linked a couple of Texas Gallery posts I had done about ARE on that forum and put some pictures taken through the years on their gallery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Remembering ARE on Antique Rose Gallery ...

o

Thank you Ragna for getting the word out.

o

The date they gave my friend Sheila today is July 15.

o

That is good to know Linda. I will try to get back there before they close down.

o

roselee & rock_oak_deer:
THANK YOU for the pictures!

ARE San Antonio has such beautiful landscaping. It's so much more than just a rose garden!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here