Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody recognize this shrub?

Posted by artisticcheese 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 10:14

Hello,

I bought something late last year at Aldi's and forgot what that is. It died down to roots in winter and this year came back which looks like shrub/tree with beatiful pink flowers which look like hibiscus.
I have no idea what that tree/shrub is or might be but it's definetely a keeper bearing in mind it survived worst winter in Dallas in 30 years.
What that might be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody recognize this shrub?

Althea, Rose of Sharon or Hibiscus syriacus

Love these, especially the single bloom. Reminds me of my grandfather. One of his faves

o

Thanks. Yes that's what it looks like. So I can just cut it down to ground in winter and have this flowering shrub every summer?

o

I wouldn't cut down an althea;
it'll grow into a beautiful ornamental shrub or tree, depending on whether you let it remain shaggy or shape it like a crepe myrtle.

Maybe it died to the roots this past winter due to transplant shock or due to the severe winter, but it seems to have recovered!

o

They normally don't die back in Dallas and will eventually become a ~ 6 to 8 ft shrub. Not sure that they reliably re-sprout from the root collar, so would not prune the main stem(s) shorter than 2 or 3 ft unless you have to or are willing to experiment. Someone else may know otherwise, but we got no new shoots when we had to cut a couple healthy ones off at the ground a few years ago that were too big to transplant.

o

One other thought.... since it died to the ground last winter, any chance it may be one of the hardy hibiscus cultivars rather than Althea? Can't make much of the leaves from the photo, but these normally do die back and come in similar colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Hibiscus

o

I have hardy hibiscus in the back. Flowers are much bigger and they come with several steams from undergroud, this one come back with single steam and then branching off that one instead

o

Yeah - what looked like multiple stems in the photo was the other thing that made me ask.

o

That is Pavonia or Rock Rose. Its in the hibiscus family.

o

What size is that flower? Are the leaves fuzzy?
My altheas have died back many times depending on their location in the yard
a couple that didn't die back at the old place had to be cut way back every year because they were planted in the wrong place and were huge but I put up with it because they are so pretty

o

here is close up of the flower. It's about the size of your palm, while the giant hardy hibiscus about the size of the hand.

o

Althea, enjoy!

o

Yeah, pavonia's flower I know don't grow that big.

Omar

o

I stand corrected that is an Althea. Wonderful plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here