Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysa_gw

Help for Pink Zazzle (Gomphrena)

sunnysa
9 years ago

We took a drive out to Castroville yesterday and we purchased a beautiful Pink Zazzle Hybrid Gomphrena. It has beautiful pink blooms on it.... much larger than the Gomps that I have seen before. First thing this morning, I tried to repot it because it was so full of blooms, it was top heavy. It just fell apart in my hands and broke off at the bottom of the stem. I was devastated!

Is there any way at all to save this beautiful plant? It has absolute no root left at all! I immediately soaked it in a tray of water.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to save this plant?

Comments (25)

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another picture of the bare stem:

• cynthianovak
    9 years ago

I got 2 of these beauties and 1 large stem broke off. they are not flexible stems at all. I cut mine in pieces, dipped them in rooting hormone and hopefully some will root. The remaining base of the stem is thus far looking lonely but I hope other stems will rise from it.
    The pieces are looking bleak. Definitely got too wet and show it. I have them sitting on a chair in the Sun and hope for some real roots. It's been about 10 day thus far. Tiny roots seem to be appearing, but not certain since the stems are hairy.

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cynthia,
    Thanks so much for the advice. I have cut the stems in smaller pieces and dipped them in rooting hormone and placed them in full sun. (I hated like crazy to cut them up.) The remaining root has an eighth of an inch stub sticking up from the dirt... I sure hope it sprouts more stems. I hope your cuttings root, too. You say it's been 10 days. That's hopeful, isn't it? I'll post a pic in ten days... if they last that long! They are beauties! Thanks, again.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

I do all my rooting in the shade. Also it helps to make a clear plastic tent around the cuttings to keep them from drying out before they root.

Wishing you both luck with the rooting. It looks like a beautiful plant.

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here they are both wrapped up. It would be sooo great if they root.

• cynthianovak
    9 years ago

Thanks Roselee! I was worried about fungi but that may not matter. I will say my smaller pieces do not look as good as your bigger ones!

• carrie751
    9 years ago

I do all my rooting in the shade as well.

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cynthia, here is an update on my Pink Zazzle. It has sprouted from the root! It's still a little sprout, but I think it will make it. If it does, I'll be happy to save some seeds for you.

How did yours do? My cuttings all died back, but we have hope for this little one.

Carrie, thanks for your tip on shade rooting, too. I hope you are doing better. We miss your valuable advice. Come back... like soon.

• cynthianovak
    9 years ago

My cuttings all died but plants are good. Thank you for the offer. so far so good after that first break...

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's good to hear that your plants are doing well. I was so surprised that my plant decided to sprout again. I saved the blooms from the first plant and placed them a paper sack. I'm hoping that when they dry out, that I can restart them. Thanks, Cynthia.

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Oh, I'm so glad you two were able to save those sweet looking plants

• msrose
    9 years ago

That's one of the prettiest flowers I've ever seen and something I've never heard of. Is it an annual or a perennial?

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jolana, I'm hoping that I can find another plant before anything happens to the one I now have. I've not seen it anywhere locally. It may require another trip out of town.... what a pity! (I love out of town trips to small nurseries, lol.)

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Dang, what a shame, having to shop for pretty plants, pfft
    I'll keep my eye out when I have to go look at nurseries

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    9 years ago

I saw it in the trial gardens at Overton .. huge, gorgeous blooms but the plant wasn't really vigorous in their full-sun beds.

Just some hints on propagating - next time don't leave the flowers on cuttings - you want the energy to go to roots not seeds. And the seeds may sprout, but since it's a hybrid the plants may not be like the parent.

• cabrajo
    9 years ago

This Gomphrena is definitely a winner! Very cool that you were able to save. At our greenhouses we grew this for the first time this season, and had tons of positive response! The only downside to this particular hybrid is it's weakness at the base. It breaks if you blow on it!

I have tons of them in containers around my garden at home. I want to germinate some seeds and see if anything happens. Like many of you have already said, because of it's hybrid status there will be some extreme variation if you even get some germinated to begin with.

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You have 'tons of them?' Wow, lucky you!

My 'saved' plant is now about five inches tall. I'm so happy that it came back from nothing. That is so funny but so true. ".....It breaks if you blow on it." It is still so worth having. The blooms are the prettiest pink that I've ever seen and so dramatic looking! I wish I had 'tons' too! LOL

Please post some pics if you get them to germinate. We would love to see them. Thanks.

• casper866
    8 years ago

I purchased two of these flowers two months ago and placed them with other flowers in two pots, and they seem to be doing great. They require no special treatment at all. They are on automatic watering systems and are watered twice daily. In addition, I find that they aren't fragile in the least. I will say that they are one of the most beautiful and unusual flowers I've seen in a long while.

• abunena2020
    8 years ago

I have this plant only one most ago....all the flower change ....are cream color even the new born and some parts are dying....I am not sure if need a lot water,a lot sun,a lot shade or must be inside with air condition because ....I live in miami...I am very confuse about the care...help me please...thanks...

• junegreen
    8 years ago

I bought one of these plants at calloways and the flowers were beautiful,. Now the flowers are small and not brilliantly colored as at first. I have it outside in a pot with the best potting soil money can buy. Am I keeping it too moist or do they require extensive feeding?

• Dina Desveaux (zone 6, Nova Scotia, Canada)
    8 years ago

I would love to hear if anyone in Canada has seen these in a nursery, especially on the East Coast - I'm in Nova Scotia...but willing to go on a road trip:)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    8 years ago

Hi Dina, you may want to post this on a Canadian forum, although Texas may be hosting some Canadian travelers :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    8 years ago

Does anyone know if it comes true from seed?

• Anna Armstrong
    7 years ago

I recently planned some pink zazzle and I love them, they might not love me as much, but we are figuring each others out. THEY LIKE IT DRY. It won't stop raining here, not typical.

Just an FYI... The pink is not the actual flower. They get tiny yellow flowers on them, those are the plants actual flowers. Might help those trying to grow their own.