Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Not recommending Nicky Phlox ...

I posted on the Gallery a while back about a 'New Phlox on the Block', but I'm not recommending it at this time. The color is beautiful, but the leaves are spotted and yellowing. None of my other four varieties of phlox do that.

I was a little suspicious of it doing well here when I got home, looked it up, and found it was recommended for zones 4 to 8. It's probably a great phlox in the north. Oh well ...

BTW, a few pictures from this morning have been posted on the gallery.

Comments (19)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

What is the yellow daisy?? To bad about the phlox. Maybe it will be a good spring phlox and die back for the summer. If one puts it in where the foliage does not show. I am always looking to get the best out of a bad situation.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I suppose it is a good thing I could not find any in my area, Roselee............thanks for the info.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

Mine still hasn't bloomed, but the foliage still looks good.
    I have it in a pot. Might do better in the ground.
    Marshall's Grain on Hwy. 121 still had it for sale last week, if anyone in DFW area is looking for it.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mara, the yellow daisy is a "Gerber daisy". They come in such brilliant colors, bloom all summer and are often on Lowes sale rack.

Ruth, we'll both be watching Nicky and hoping for the best to report back.

• mary52zn8tx
    11 years ago

What phlox do you like and where did you get them? I have some John Fanick phlox. It wilts during the hottest part of a summer day. I always water, but I wonder what it will do if I can't get it watered.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mary, my favorite phlox are the old fashioned lavender 'Summer phlox', 'First Lady phlox', "Richard Poore phlox" and "John Fannicks" of course.

'Summer phlox' and "John Fanicks" are available at most nurseries and 'First Lady', which is almost as dark as "Nicky", and "Richard Poore", which is between 'Summer' and 'First Lady' in color, were purchased at Antique Rose Emporium.

The only Google reference to 'First Lady' are my posts about it so I'm wondering who supplied it to ARE and why it is not widely available, but "Richard Poore" has several online reference so apparently it's available at nurseries.

All these are VERY healthy, nothing eats them and no foliage disease mars them; and if dead headed they bloom until frost. When you snap off the finished flower head the stem will put out more blooms right below it.

They like a fair amount of water and would probably die back to the ground it they didn't get it, but the roots might come back. I have some in pretty much full sun, but really have to watch to give them plenty of water. The ones in afternoon shade do better.

BTW, for anyone that doesn't grow phlox they are also VERY fragrant and a raceme used in an arrangement will scent the whole room.

• mary52zn8tx
    11 years ago

Thanks for your information, roselee! I plan to add more phlox to my garden! I will also be dead heading what I have.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Roselee, I grew up where sand phlox grew wild and my mama called the tall ones "standing" phlox as the others were small and close to the ground....so.....to me, they will ALWAYS be standing phlox.............LOL>

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Carrie, I remember the little wild phlox that grows on the south side of San Antonio where my Mom grew up on a farm in what they called "way out in the sand hills". So compared with that pretty little thing (I have pictures of it growing in an old cemetery) 'standing phlox' makes sense.

Texas Super Star plants calls them "Victoria perennial phlox" or "Garden Phlox." Whatever they are called they're a great plant!

Incidentally, the white "David" variety has been recommended for the south, but I've tried them twice and couldn't keep them going where with 'standing phlox' you can't hardly kill it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Super Star Victoria phlox ...

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I have tried several time to get the sand phlox going up here, but my soil is too heavy for them. I really love them and they bring back such fond memories.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

I tried David years ago and it didn't survive.
    I'm trying it again this year. I got David, Nicky and garden phlox from the same lady in Alabama.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Ruth, I will be interested to know how they grow for you.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    11 years ago

Last year when I was in PA visiting my mom, I dug up what I hoped were the crowns/roots of some of her phlox (the foliage had died back but I was going by location). Imagine my thrill this week when I saw blooms on her purple/magenta phlox!

I hope that the two crowns that haven't bloomed might be her white phlox. Mom told me stories of her wedding, when my Grandma picked the white phlox to decorate the altar. I would love to have some.

Mom has Alzheimers and hasn't been able to attend to the garden for years. These phlox have outlasted my brother chopping them down, and being surrounded by Queen Anne's lace taller than I am. I hope they can survive the Texas heat!

Lin

• carrie751
    11 years ago

What a great story, Lin, and I'll bet they do well......just keep them watered. I am so happy they came through for you.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

Roselee,today I noticed spots and yellowing on the leaves of my Nicky.
    Are you keeping Nicky and if so, what are you doing about the spots?
    I never see Victoria at Nurseries, but I do see garden phlox.
    Is it the same thing?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ruth, my Nicki plant lost about 2/3 of its leaves so far and the rest are spotted. There's not much hope that it will pull out of it.

I think Victoria is a new name for the old fashioned 'garden phlox'. It's also called 'summer phlox' in old books. It's a great plant.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Or as my mom called them............."standing" phlox as opposed to sand phlox which are short by comparison.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nicky phlox died. Oh well, gardening is always an ongoing experiment. The other phlox, Victoria, Fanick's, Richard Poore and First Lady are doing extremely well.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

She just wasn't meant for our heat, Roselee............glad all the others are doing well.