Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daturas

Posted by element321 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 5, 09 at 10:58

I just picked up a couple of Daturas, the places I got them did not know what kind they are. I know one is yellow and the other might be white.

I live in Dallas, where should these be planted? Full sun, shade or just morning Sun?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daturas

I'm in Tyler and mine get afternoon sun. They are blooming profusely.

o

full sun or as much sun as you can give them. I have a double yellow that would bloom more if it got more. I have whites that are huge and happy in the heat.

c

o

Full sun and out of reach of pets and children as they are highly toxic if ingested. Cheryl

o

You'll probably get hornworms on them. Datura are a part of the deadly nightshade/tomato/potato family. The hornworms eat the plant (don't kill it) in return they polinate the flowers as beautiful hawk moths or hummingbird moths. I grow datura (plain white) as a host plant for the hornworms I don't want on my fancy brugs or tomato plants. I just pick them up and relocate as needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird moth

o

We have hummingbird moths but didn't know they were hornworms. I'll never think ugh! when I see one again, or put it in the birdfeeder.

Full sun here, the ones at the airport are coming back so apparently they will tolerate 11' of salt water, or the seeds at least. They are a weed north of us-the common white ones, called jimson weed. Kills livestock.
But they are so pretty and we don't got no cows except in the freezer.
Tally HO!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here