Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glitter_and_guns

OT- draining a swimming pool - uses for water?

glitter_and_guns
10 years ago

I know this is off topic, but I hope you will indulge me a bit. As I have said I am a new homeowner in DFW. My house has an in ground pool that will need to be drained to be replastered sometime this summer. The water in it is absolutely lovely. As I am sure most of you are painfully aware, watering restrictions are already settling in for most of our area. My dilemma is that I just hate the idea of draining the water out of the pool and releasing it. Since I am "in the country" (but in a sub division) we don't have city sewer. The water will be discharged into the bar ditch over a period of a few days.

So I am trying to figure out if there is a way not to "waste" the water. There is no way that I can store 27,000 gallons of water. Would a volunteer fire dept use it to fill tanker trucks? My aunt and uncle have a pond roughly 8 miles from me and would probably appreciate the water if I let the chlorine level drop, but I have no idea how it would get from point A to point B or how costly that would be. Is there some way I could store it for a week and reuse it?

I just feel so wasteful. Any thoughts? No matter how crazy...

Comments (3)