Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazyadventures

Help! Is my Bermudagrass Ruined?

crazyadventures
10 years ago

We're first-time homeowners and we were told by neighbors to use "Southern Weed and Feed" on our grass. The first bag we used with great success was Sta-Green's version, but Lowes didn't carry it anymore, so my husband brought home Bonus-S by Scotts. We were not aware they weren't the same type of fertilizer, and I laid it down yesterday on our Bermudagrass not knowing. After Googling to see how soon I could lay down the Ironite, I saw directions that said it was actually bad for our grass! I spent the better part of last night sweeping and vacuuming (yes vacuuming!) the grass to get it back up, but I'm afraid I didn't get it all. What can I do now to prevent our grass from dying? Can I apply Ironite and a Bermudagrass-friendly fertilizer today? If so, what do you recommend?

Comments (10)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Some say that it won't kill the bermuda because it's a pretty tough grass. It would have been absorbed by the roots in a couple of hours, you'll probably just have to wait and see. I'm pretty sure it will knock it for a loop and you'll see major yellowing.

A safer approach is to use an organic fertilizer like alfalfa pellets. It will never damage the grass or any other plants. Spot treat your weeds with roundup on a windless day. I am linking to this topic on the GW Lawn Forum. It's a great place to learn about lawn care.

Here is a link that might be useful: Please Help!! I used Scotts Bonus S for my bermuda lawn

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

Media is suppose to fix these type problems it is even used on oil spills.

• ilovemyroses
    10 years ago

just reading, as I thought I might pick up a tip to kill bermuda...crazyadventures, it will be FINE!! It is impossible to kill bermuda!! ( somewhat in jest!! )

• scottiegee
    10 years ago

Yeah, you can't kill that stuff. You vacuumed your lawn? Come over and do my living room! :-)

Now, I've heard it's not good for Live Oak trees but I don't have any first hand experience as I use organic stuff.

• crazyadventures
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much, everybody. It's been a week and here's what's happened so far to the treated area. The yellow splotches are scattered around my front yard in spots yet the side lawn is completely green, completely unaffected at all. I think the issue at this point is proper watering.

Just after I posted here, a neighbor with the same grass on his lawn told me he uses Bonus S (and his lawn is just as green) - he told me to ensure I water or it'll "dry it up" so I've been watering a lot, but I think there are just some spots that got more Bonus S than others, hence the yellowing. I also think my front isn't getting nearly as watered as my side, hence why the side is unaffected. Looking into a better sprinkler today (we have a large corner lot, so sprinkler coverage is tough)

Will keep you updated.

• crazyadventures
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More of the yellowing

• crazyadventures
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Side yard unaffected

• crazyadventures
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi again, everybody! Update on my lawn - it's looking great! Thanks to more-than-normal Ironite, fertilizing with a natural fertilizer, and heavy watering, I am proud to say my lawn is no longer looking yellow and/or ugly, and is progressing quite nicely after the mistake! Hooray! Couple spots that are troublesome are being overtaken by new growth :) Grateful I didn't kill it, and I appreciate everyone's help! (Now if only I could figure out why gardenweb makes my portrait pictures sideways...) :)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

It's looking great!

I bet the pictures are sideways because you are uploading from an iPhone. There are a few workarounds, you can google it if you want to fix it. I see a lot of sideways photos :-)

• crazyadventures
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, pkponder! And yes, I am posting using my iPhone. I will definitely Google to see how to fix this :) thanks for the recommendation :)