Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bryan_scott3324

ID Please

Bryan Scott
13 years ago

Can anyone identify these weeds that are taking over my lawn. Also, why are they there (soil condition, ect...), and how can I get rid of them. The one with the yellow flowers is spreading very quickly through my St. Augustine.

Yard Takeover

Comments (14)

• jolanaweb
    13 years ago

This one I know for sure, it is horseherb
    I don't know how you would get rid of it. Most people want it but not in St Augustine

Here is a link that might be useful: horseherb

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting this. I have it all over the backyard and wondered what the name of it is. It's very green and natural, so we'll just mow it and call it groundcover.

The other picture looks like dichondra. We also let that grow as groundcover.

• denisew
    13 years ago

Horseherb does make a wonderful groundcover in dry shade. I have seen it used several times in private and public gardens in this manner. Even Sally and Andy Wasowski highly recommend using horseherb as a groundcover in shady areas.

• Bryan Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info! Allthough it's a nice ground cover, it's taking over my St. Augustine. The thing about it that if you mow over it, it comes back with many many blooms. And yes, all of my St. Augustine that is in shade has been replaces with the horseherb.

On the dichrondra, I'm not worried about it as much as it does not seem to spread like the horseherb does. The areas where there is dichondra, I will be converting from a grassy area to a raised bed for flowers, plants, ect...

• bluelake
    13 years ago

I'm also in Austin with St. Augustine and would love to erradicat this plant from my back yard. I've spent many hours after the very little rain we've had pulling it up from the roots. I have not had time the past 2-3 months to do this and it's everywhere. I truly dislike it. I may ask people at the Natural Gardener how to get rid of it. My problem may be is that I'm mulch mowing and this may just be replanting it all over my yard.

I'd like to use some product that will kill all the weeds popping up in my St. Augustine but I have a fish pond back there and cats that walk in the grass. The grass that I do have is YELLOW. I've added compost, blood meal, revitalizer soil, but for 3 years, I cannot get the St. Augustine to really 'take' but the other stuff is thriving.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    13 years ago

I like the horseherb in areas that are too shady for my St Augustine to thrive. Prettier than bare dirt IMO.

Pam

• knittlin
    13 years ago

Yep, horseherb. How to get rid of it? Pot it up and sell it to us at the Natural Gardener ~ we can't keep enough of that in stock! Seriously, I don't know how to get rid of it. I have it at home and it's a bugger to pull out of places I don't want it. You really have to get in there and dig it.

Bluelake, have you aerated lately? Do you think it's compacted? How often do you fertilize and with what besides the blood meal?

If you want to rule out a fungus like take all root rot, bring a one square foot sample to the info desk up at the Gardener. Be sure to cut the piece at the edge of one of the yellow spots, taking more green than yellow. And include an inch or two of soil, too.

• Bryan Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

On the horse herb, if Natural Gardener wants to come out and dig it up (I had back surgery last year and can't do much digging), you guys can have my horseherb for free.

On the mulching, I am about 99.99999% positive that is how mine got so crazy. Really, I'm not sure what to do about it.

I also had issue with a take-all patch in the front, due to fungus. My St. Augustine was just dissapearing, turning yellow, then brown. I knew it was not grub worms because the roots were still there (that's what they eat). I ended up having to use a fungicide (hate to use chemicals- only as last resort) and am happy to say that it has seemed to stop spreading and along with a mixture of grasses that are not as disease prone, I have patches of St. Augustine creeping back up in the middle of the patch!!

Bryan

• bluelake
    13 years ago

bea, that is interestng. I think I'll do as you did and see if I get improvements.

knit, Yes, I have sorta aerated. I had a guy from Clist come and aerate and put down revitalizer. However, the day he came out, I was having a rather TERRIBLE day. He was supposed to get the revitalizer from Natural Gardener, but I doubt he did. I think it was just common dirt. He said he 'forgot' the receipt and would email it to me later. That was 7 months ago, still no receipt. Also when he aerated, his machine appeared to be clogged up on the little spoke/spike things so I don't think it did any good. I was having a terrible day and simply said, to he11 with it, paid the crook and shut the door. So, I'll say no, it has not be aerated and I can't afford to have it done.

I'll bring some in to the Natural G this weekend and get their ideas and solutions. Meanwhile, I'm going out to sugar the lawn. I see a nice patch of horse herb that looks like it has a sweet tooth.

I will confess, I did buy a bag of Weed N Feed this past weekend, but I'm scared to use it. Especially out of guilt! I will return it to Lowes.

• bluelake
    13 years ago

bea, that is interestng. I think I'll do as you did and see if I get improvements.

knit, Yes, I have sorta aerated. I had a guy from Clist come and aerate and put down revitalizer. However, the day he came out, I was having a rather TERRIBLE day. He was supposed to get the revitalizer from Natural Gardener, but I doubt he did. I think it was just common dirt. He said he 'forgot' the receipt and would email it to me later. That was 7 months ago, still no receipt. Also when he aerated, his machine appeared to be clogged up on the little spoke/spike things so I don't think it did any good. I was having a terrible day and simply said, to he11 with it, paid the crook and shut the door. So, I'll say no, it has not be aerated and I can't afford to have it done.

I'll bring some in to the Natural G this weekend and get their ideas and solutions. Meanwhile, I'm going out to sugar the lawn. I see a nice patch of horse herb that looks like it has a sweet tooth.

I will confess, I did buy a bag of Weed N Feed this past weekend, but I'm scared to use it. Especially out of guilt! I will return it to Lowes.

• linda_tx8
    13 years ago

I haven't found any way to be rid of it...even if you killed all the plants, the seeds are prolific and would probably come back. I do manage to keep it out of my garden beds...for the most part.

• Bryan Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Something of interest I found too. (see question about half way down)
    http://bexar-tx.tamu.edu/HomeHort/F1Column/2007%20Articles/QandAs/May.htm

If you try it, please post your result.
    Bryan

• francine7512
    12 years ago

If anyone in Austin has horse herb they want to get rid of, please let me know. I'll come dig it up and plant it in my back yard.