Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please identify this plant.

Posted by chitralekha Z8 TX (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 11:47

I saw a plant growing in the same patch I had planted some Bitter Melon in April 2011, which is already in bloom and started yielding bitter melon. From the outset, the leaf of the unknown plant that grew in May 2011 looked like it was in the melon family (cucurbitaceae)
I used to use this area of backyard to make compost with Vegetable scrap from the kitchen. I suspect it could be one of the following: Water Melon, Honey Dew Melon, Cantaloupe or Ash gourd or Pumpkin,

Now the vine of the "unknown melon" has male and female flowers on it. Can anyone help me identify the plant from the Flower and leaf? The young green fruit has a fuzzy coat on its plain green skin.

Thank you for your help.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please identify this plant.

My guess would be cantaloupe :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here