Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mnspry

Peonies in Texas

mnspry
9 years ago

I live just south of Houston And I bought 3 peonies this year (Pillow Talk, Festival Maxima & Double princess).
Has anyone had success growing peonies?
I have heard that they need cold winters to thrive in the spring.
We only get around 50 degrees weather during the winter and maybe only two days of below freezing.
Any info would be great!

Comments (18)

• cynthianovak
    9 years ago

I have not but I have heard of those that do! Sound's like an urban legend doesn't it? I know someone who had them just outside of Dallas that were pink and gorgeous and came with his older home. No idea what variety...his lawn guy eventually destroyed them all. Guess he didn't believe it was possible. I heard of folks clearing out the ice from ice maker and tossing the ice on the peony roots at some unknown to me interval.

I et a woman at a Lowes gat the dried up rootstock. She said she has them growing in the middle of her yard with nothing extra and in full Sun. Nope, she did not know the variety...got them in a box from Sam's.

I've seen them at the Dallas Arboretum so I know it's possible there. I can't speak of zone 9. Only heard this. "If you live north of I30 you may be able to grow peonies...If you live south of I20 no way! I hope you do and will report back. I may try again....c

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Good luck is all I can say. I have NEVER EVER seen one in Austin. Not at an arboretum , not in a yard. not anywhere. I will say a peony prayer tonight.

• mangobaby
    9 years ago

I had peony flowering this year. It has been in the ground for 3 years and the freeze woke it up.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Where in Texas are you?

• mangobaby
    9 years ago

NW Houston

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

I tried 3 times in SW Houston and failed. Would not bother with them again

• cynthianovak
    9 years ago

I spotted some today....long stem unopened buds $8.99 each! Wholefoods...

• Allan Jafet Hernandez
    7 years ago

@mangobaby if you have some sugar apples can you please help me get one I am willing to buy you one and if you can give me some tips to grow my own one too! allan_katracho@yahoo.com is my email contact me please I haven't had a sugar apple in yrs

• ruthz
    7 years ago

I'm in the DFW area and have tried to grow them with no luck. However someone that works with my daughter has brought her some beautiful pink blooms for years now.

• Allan Jafet Hernandez
    7 years ago

It must be a away to get a sweet Apple here in Tx it has to be. 14 yrs I haven't had one it's time to end that streak. I am willing to try to grow my own if anyone has some seeds. :(

• junegreen
    7 years ago

II planted peony roots probably 5yrs ago. Two springs ago I had one bloom and this spring I had a lovely bush,,,don't know the name but wish I did.

• ruthz
    7 years ago

That looks like

Peony Festiva Maxima.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

I've seen them growing and blooming beautifully at the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens, they look like Junegreen's blooms.

And to the fellow that bumped this thread up:

Allan, a two second Google search found seeds for you.

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/content/sugar-apple.htm

• purslanegarden
    7 years ago

I'm in DFW area and had 4 peony plants bloom for me this year. 3 of them were the bare roots from Lowes/HD and took 2-3 years for them to reach the size for blooming. The 4th plant was bought from another local nursery that was large enough to bloom last year already straight from the store, and this is its first year outside of (probably) a nursery's controlled environment and it bloomed great.

• Dee Moreland Jones
    7 years ago

I moved my peony from MN to DFW area ( zone 8bish) Happily they all bloomed and seem to be doing well. Friends in FTW have grown large beds of peony for years........ so it IS possible. Im keeping my fingers crossed my con't to do well since this is the first year for them in TX....

• michellemngo03
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Mnspry, where did you buy your peonies? I would like to buy a larger plant. I planted an eye last fall and I just saw it sprouted 2 stalks about 2 inches tall.

• zippity1
    6 years ago

there are a number of peony varieties that are said to grow in zones 4 to 9 6 weeks or so of 40 degree weather to bloom

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting