Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jardineratx

Orange Esperanza

jardineratx
10 years ago

My sister bought an orange esperanza plant for me, but it does not have a label on it, so I don't know the variety. I have grown the Gold Star yellow esperanza and I am wondering if the orange varieties have a similar growth habit and cold tolerance. I will plant it at the end of my driveway, so I need to make sure I can maintain it to a height no taller than 6ft. Is that possible?
Molly

Comments (15)

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

Does it have narrower leaves like in this photo? If so, it's probably Tecoma Stans var Angustata. It is a more cold hardy variety. That's what we use in DFW because Gold Star was not reliable enough for us in unsheltered locations. There are some T. Stans var Angustata that also have more yellow-ish flowers as in the photo at the attached link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tecoma stans var. angustata

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Molly, I have an orange, but uncertain as to the variety. It is very cold hardy here in North Texas, much more so than the "yellow bells", but it grows taller than six feet in a season for me. Yours may be a smaller variety...............

• jardineratx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I actually haven't picked up my orange esperanza yet, but I want to prepare the area where I will plant it. Do esperanzas respond well to pruning, because I need to keep it no larger than 6 ftx6 ft.?
    Molly

• ruthz
    10 years ago

I have Esperanza Mahogany Orange. It is supposed to be hardy up to zone 9, but has returned for me for about 3 years now. I don't have it in a very good location and it gets maybe 5' each year before I cut it back for winter.
    I tried the yellow varieties a couple of times and they didn't overwinter.

10 years ago

Forgot about the non-natives. If your leaves are wider like tecoma stans, it's probably t. alata or one of it's hybrids (Orange Jubilee,...). Zone ratings are a bit of an approximation, but looks like hardiness is roughly as follows:

Zone 7 - tecoma stans var. angustata (narrow leaf esperanza/yellow bells)
    Zone 8 - tecoma alata (hybrids?) (Orange Jubilee, etc)
    Zone 9 - tecoma stans (Gold Star, etc)

Here is a link that might be useful: tecoma alata

This post was edited by bostedo on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 9:40

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I was not aware that Tecoma stans Var angustata had a orange variety. All the ones that I have seen are yellow. Do you know of the names for that variety. I am on the border of 8b and 8a. I have found that most of the Tecomas are root hardy if I have them near a building. If I put them out in the field they have a tough time making it through the first winter. I have killed a couple orange jubilees that way. I did not much them. Their roots are very close to the surface.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Mara, I saw a new variety of orange esperanza at Rainbow Gardens recently, I took photos that I think included the name, but my computer has been down and son hasn't restored all the systems yet which includes my photos. It was more of a burnt orange color with quite large flowers and very beautiful! I would have bought it but they only had it in five gal size and it was pricy. It seems they do that when a variety is new. When it comes down in price I'll be buying one for sure.

10 years ago

Wantonamara: It's the "Sangria" t. stans var. angustata cultivar discovered by Native Texas Nursery. Not a pure orange - rims of the bells fade to more of a yellow, but a very nice variation. We bought for an exposed yard location because of similar experience as you mentioned in 8a with other varieties. It was totally unscathed by this year's late freeze that melted new growth on the neighbors' t. stans sheltered foundation plants.

Edit: Added photo showing rims of Sangria bells

Here is a link that might be useful: Tecoma stans var. angustata - Sangria

This post was edited by bostedo on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 17:15

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

That is a beautiful plant!

• surfbreeze
    10 years ago

That Sangria Bells looks beautiful. I bought a "Jubilee" which is currenly almost all a dark orange color locally a couple of months ago that is still doing well in our right now high 90's heat. The yellow ones are going very strong now as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: orange jubilee

• jardineratx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't wait to get my orange esperanza this weekend and I hope to be able to identify it, thanks to the photos and information you have all provided. From the information posted, it appears that not all esperanzas are the same in their tolerance of temps and soil conditions. We don't get sustained below-freezing temps very often in my area, so cold hardiness is less of an issue for me than the blooming nature of the plant since it will be at the very front of the driveway for all to see. I really appreciate all of the input.
    Molly

10 years ago

Thanks for an interesting thread - only being familiar with the natives, had no idea how many promising hybrids have been coming out. Am now on the hunt for a 'Bells of Fire' to see how it stands up in 8a.

The linked news segment video on Tecomas touches on several of the variations.

Here is a link that might be useful: AZ news segment on Tecoma cultivars

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

The orange esperanza I saw at Rainbow Gardens on Thousand Oaks is 'Bells of Fire' tacoma stans. Here's a picture of the the description. It was a beauty!

• jardineratx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, I received my esperanza and it does have a label: Tecoma stans "Orange Star". I could not find information on an esperanza cultivar with that name.
    Molly

10 years ago

Magnolia Gardens lists it. The info page doesn't say much, but could probably give them a call for details.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tecoma Orange Star at Magnolia Gardens