Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
printmaster1

Plumeria

Anyone see plumeria for sale at any of the local nursery centers?

le

Comments (19)

• ruthz
    11 years ago

I haven't seen it at nurseries, but I did buy some cuttings at Canton First Monday Trade Days last month.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

There are potted ones at all of the Lowes in Jacksonville, Florida. See link below for more info.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumeria at Lowes

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

(Point being that you might try Lowes, not that you might drive to Jacksonville!) LOL!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Printmaster, I called Jungle Jacks to see if he sends plants to South Texas, I actually found a nursery 32 miles from my house that carries his plants. Then I called local nurseries and found another one that only carries named plumeria from Texas Colors. They also had noid plants for $10, from hobby growers, but they were not in bloom. Our home depot and lowes do not have them yet. I think they get plumeria and desert roses later in the summer around August. Barbra

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone.
    I'll call around.
    Where the Canton plumeria named varieties?

• ruthz
    11 years ago

No, not named.
    She just had colors written on them.
    I got my first cutting from her many years ago, but lost them during those 2 cold winters we had in 2009 and 2010.
    I think I got a business card from her if you decide you want her information.
    $6.00 each
    Orange
    Rainbow
    Red
    White

• weldontx
    11 years ago

I have pink ones. Two in bloom (not for sale) Two that have
    not bloomed that I would make a good deal on.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I lived in CA where they bloomed profusely. With the TX heat, do they do well? ;o)

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

Barbra, I saw Plumeria at Lowe's on Austin Hwy. this afternoon.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

None of the Lowes in our area have them and the manager said they would not be getting any this year. Between Ike and the 2 freezes I lost almost all of mine.
    Tally HO!

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

Sounds like cuttings need to be taken if or when a freeze is expected. Those sticks can be brought inside and will be fine with all the leaves removed. They can stay dormant for quite a while. That way you should not lose everything. I only have a yellow plumeria with a light streak of light red once in a while on a few of the blooms. I have been tempted to ask a neighbor for a cutting from one of his plumeria as he now has over 7 plants in his front yard all red but haven't gotten up the nerve so far. I have never seen him protect them during our winters nor did I protect mine except the year before last. It gets a little scarey when all I see is a stick with no leaves and they do not look like they are going to come back, but as soon as it gets hot enough the leaves come out again. I have one I cut down to a stump and I was not sure it would survive but it has just started to put on new branches and leaves and here it is almost July. So I have learned to wait and see as long as it is not starting to rot or scribble up. Even if the parent plant survives our winter the cuttings will give you more plants to grow or share. Nice thing about plumeria is they are so easy to start from a bare stick as long as it is healthy.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I received an email from Jungle Jacks and they have sent plumeria to Buchanans in Houston recently.
    Don't buy them all up ya'll, for I'll be in Houston end of July!!!
    Lonnie

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I picked up a "bare stick" at a plant swap this year, and it is now a healthy plant.........hasn't bloomed yet, but still has time to do so.

• marcie_new
    11 years ago

Weldon tx what kind of good deal? I want some cutttings or planrs please let me know will you?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I checked at my Lowes yesterday and still no plumeria or desert roses. I'll check again when I get back after the 4th. I remember that they mark them on clearance at the end of October last year. They were not named plumeria, just marked with nail polish as to what the color was. Fanicks Nursery here in San Antonio, said they buy from local growers, and they are not named, but are about to bloom. They are in 5 gallon pots and are $29.99. I might just go to see what blooming. I really would love to get a pretty red one. I only have one red. Barbra

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Really? Take cuttings? Really? 100 year old trees died, 95% of the vegetation on the island died..don`t get me started!! The plants in the kitchen downstairs froze after I brought them in. What I wouldn`t give for central heat.

Barb, I found a guy in LaPorte who is retired and grows plumeria, he is moving so selling most of his. I ran up there yesterday morning and ended up getting 24 of them, including some really rare and hard to find ones ranging from seedlings to 4` and spent $180! He threw in a couple of bonus seedlings and plants too. Jade dragon, Aztec Gold, Jacks violet, Larry`s big pink, Princess Victoria, My kimo, a Thai hybrid I can`t even find on line, noid purple, 3 kings among others. It will be awhile before most of them bloom.
    Headed up next week with the truck to pick up a couple of HUGE trees that wouldn`t fit in the Mazda. Oh, and I gotta go rob a bank for money....
    So next time you head this way to visit we`ll go plumeria shopping.
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I got 12 seedlings from Larry Burkholder in La Porte Tx, he offered me a rooted plan of Heirloom, I took the seedlings instead. I only had 4 plumeria plants, I wanted to have blooms this year, but nothing is even close to blooming, I will have to wait another year to see blooms. The grafted plants I received from Florida Colors the last week of March, 3 are already blooming. All the plants are growing fast that I received. I ordered 3 from Emersons who also lives in LaPorte Tx today. You might want to contact him while you are down there WWW.EversonsPlumeria.com He has multi tip plants but will not mail them out. Good Luck I wish it wasn't so far for me to drive down from SA, I would love to go with you to see Larry, and Emerson. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Tally I did not spell Larry last name correctly on purpose, but it is very similar to what I typed. Barbra

• beachplant
    11 years ago

that's him! Headed there on Friday with a truck lol! Everything I got from him is doing fabulous.
    Every time I make plans to go to Emersons something happens, Ike, freezes, they are a few blocks I think from Larry. If you ever want anything from either of them let me know, my sil lives in the subdivision across the street from Larry.
    Tally HO!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio