Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlekinder_gw

Should I fear Asian Jasmine 'Salsa'?

littlekinder
16 years ago

I have always steered clear of asian jasmine because of its invasiveness. This new variety has been described as "less aggressive". Anybody tried this out? It's incredibly beautiful! I bought 2 small ones today but decided to check with "the experts" (that's you!) before I put them in the ground.

Should I????

Comments (19)

• srburk
    16 years ago

I looked on DG for you--the plant only has one review--a gardener in Houston who says the heat and humidity killed the plant, even in a protected pot. It's certainly not conclusive evidence, but it is all I could find. Hopefully somebody here has that plant in their yard............

• debndal
    16 years ago

Well, this may not qualify, but since no one has answered with their experience so far, here's my story. I bought one plant early last spring, and being skeptical also, I planted it in a large mixed planted container spilling over the side. Did fine, did grow, but I wouldn't say it really "took off". It made a couple of really long branches that I trimmed back once. It survived the winter and turned mostly green with a little of the yellow on the leaves. None of the red or orange colors stayed through the winter, and it is still only green with a little yellow. It's in quite a bit of shade though, only gets early morning and late afternoon sun. So, since you already have them, I'd go ahead and plant them and see how they do. If they get too rambunctious you can always remove it before it gets too big.

• littlekinder
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Anyone had it in the ground and not a pot?

• debndal
    16 years ago

Go for it girl!!! Be brave. We'll be here to support you if it doesn't go well.

• littlekinder
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL - but will you be there to help pull it all out?

Ok, tomorrow it goes in.

Leanne

• little_dani
    16 years ago

I want them to come help me pull mine out, too!

Mine is the 'other' kind tho, and not this 'less aggressive' one, and I absolutely hate it!

DH started it by planting 2 itty bitty pieces of it that were actually variegated. The varigation didn't last, but the plants took off, and are busy being aggressive all over that bed!

Round Up won't touch it, and the only way to get rid of it is to dig it. I would think it over before I put any kind of asiatic jasmine in the ground.

Uh oh, I just noticed the date of your last post. I am probably tooooo late.

Please let us know what happens.

Janie

• littlekinder
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, interesting - both in the ground, (yes, since the day of janie's posting, lol) one sending out shoots, the other seeming relatively dormant. The one flourishing is in a really bare and "needy" spot, gets more sun, too... so it is well placed if it "takes off". The shoots on the lively one are truly beautiful - salsa the perfect name for it. Just keeping an eye on em.

Anyone with any more input about this type of jasmine? I would love it!

Thanks!

Leanne

• mommyfox
    16 years ago

I have regular asian jasmine, and I haven't had problems with it because it's in a bed surrounded by fence, deck and gravel path. We have a deep bed edging to keep the underground runners in check, and DH takes a weedwhacker to the edges to keep the top runners in bounds.

{{gwi:1354743}}

• denisew
    16 years ago

debndal - It sounds like maybe you should position your container in a spot where it receives more sun. It sounds like the crotons - more sun, more color in the leaves.

I would probably be like most people here and end up putting it in a container before trying it in the ground. Let us know how you like it next spring when it really starts to take off.

• littlekinder
    Original Author
    16 years ago

haha denisew.... that sounds foreboding.

It is funny how differently the two are behaving - I think the more lively one is getting a tiny bit more sun. But only a very little.

I do really need some interesting ground cover in those areas - I've about exhausted moneywort, horseherb, iceplant, some honeysuckle - even crossvine that is coming up in the yard from underground roots. Lotsa shade and green - so the yellow of this particular type of asian jasmine would be a welcome change!

I guess if it gets crazy then I'll be reminded of why "gardening" is always on the list of exercises that burn a lot of calories.... dig, dig, dig...

• Dena Walters
    15 years ago

Hello,
    I realize this was posted in 2007 but now would be a good time to find out if this salsa jasmine is aggressive? I just bought some this weekend but didn't want to put it in my beds until I know for sure...
    Thanks
    Dena

• zone8brico
    14 years ago

Salsa Asian Jasmine (trachelospermum asiaticum ogon-nishiki)

Don't Plant them if you have browsing deer. They are not deer resistant.

Planted 24 of them....All gone the next morning.

• epoltl01_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

3 or 4 years ago we planted a couple of Salsa Jasmine plants in an urn type pot with a 3 foot thin juniper tree as a centerpiece. We also planted about 30 of the plants in the ground for ground cover. The plants seem to be doing fine, but they are slow growing so I dn't think invasiveness is a problem. The leaves do lose their red and orange coloring in the winter time, but the yellow and green mixture is still attractive. When the weather warms up the colors return. I wish they were as inexpensive as the Asian Jasmine plants, but I guess that's the price to pay for the unique coloring.

• dragonfly_wings
    13 years ago

I love love love the colors of the salsa variety. I want to use those colors to paint inside my house too! I wish I had a place to plant them right now besides in the planter I put them in - just had to have at least a few. I'm thinking about eventually creating an island/mounded bed for this groundcover, along with some specimen trees/shrubs and large stones, contained by some edging and surrounded by pulverized granite walk/patio. I am sure even if it's not all that aggressive that I'll be using the edger around that bed with some regularity. But those colors just make me happy!

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

I planted two in the yard almost 18 months ago and they are very slow growing. The colors are great, more fun than the plain green variety. Deer walk through that area almost every night and haven't had one nibble yet.

• azlcd
    13 years ago

My office has one of those giant planters--made of cement, sitting on cement, backed up against cement. The original inhabitants died and were never replaced. I tossed a 'salsa' in there about six months ago, along with a bunch of nasturtium seeds. It was completely hidden by the nasturtiums until about a week ago, when they all gave up and died from the heat. While it was buried, the salsa was mostly green. Now that it's in full sun and full heat, it's sending out bright red runners, and the mature leaves are yellow and green. Obviously likes full-full sun more, and is just beautiful when it's happy. Probably a great cover for the "death strip" of most homes, but I'd be a little afraid of it if I wanted it to "share" a full-sun area.

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

A few of these plants were offered locally at one of the big box stores last fall, just in time for a new garden space we were developing at our new home in z6bOK. So we were a little out of the range of temperatures, but so far our limited two-year experience here has been that we are in a pocket of warmer, or at least more moderate weather patterns compared with the central OK plains, aka Tornado Alley. Additionally, the garden space is westerly facing under a mature Water Oak which holds its leaves all winter, modifying the afternoon sun, with a full patio roof to the north, both giving some winter protection. The soil is fragile and we really need errosion protection in this area.

In the mixed garden space are Yaupon, hosta, pachyasandra, daylily seedlings (of course), Hydrangea Bombshell, a feather-leaved Mahonia, and Rhododendron, with a vareigated sedum in the drier more sunlit area. Other groundcover did not survive the lack of sunlight, the six-pack Papillon chasing squirrels and bunnies, the fall drought or winter in general. Not that it is really an unfriendly place, because there is a new hosta coming up, evidently a seedling.

So all that said, here's the report on 'Salsa'. It is doing very well, multi-colored leaves (the prettiest combination I could have ever imagined on one plant) with a glossy sheen. New shoots are abundant, and I have frightening observations of one shoot coming up about 8" from the parent plant! Not that I would mind it filling in the space, but I am concerned that it might be more safely planted in a different area bound by concrete whereas this area is bound only by tall fescue with a rock border between.

• bossyvossy
    10 years ago

I would rate the all green jasmine as a 10 in terms of being rampant and would rate Salsa a 3. I grow it in containers and as long as I don't overwater, it is happy and demands nothing. Its super attractive coloration seems to come and go; very vibrant and varied in spring and fall; less so in winter and summer.

I dreamed of having sea of Salsa as a groundcover but it never took off--and I tried twice.

I did manage to grow a large patch of the variegated jasmine as a groundcover, but being so low to the ground, the variegation was never as noticeable as I envisioned in my head. Additionally, it eventually reverted to green or else the nearby green took over. OK by me.

The green jasmine can be killed with Brush Killer but it is much faster to just dig it from unwanted places. Make sure you eat your Wheaties that day--it's gonna take all the strength you have but it is doable.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations