Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mountain lover in north Texas

Posted by bostedo 8a tx-bp-dfw (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 15:41

Does anyone know if paxistima myrsinites (mountain lover, myrtle boxwood, oregon boxleaf) will grow reasonably well in the DFW area? Found it in the native plant db while looking for (semi-) evergreen plants that will top out at about 2 ft.

The mature nana yaupon hollies that we're thinking of replacing are having to be hacked pretty badly every couple years to keep them below the windows; they would prefer to be left alone to grow to about 4 ft. They're getting partial morning sun on the east wall of the house.

Autumn sage (salvia greggii) is another option. Will this work as a foundation plant? We use it in open borders, but are concerned it may get too much water in the slab soaker zone - being too wet seems to be one of the few things that makes them miserable.

Any other suggestions? TIA

EDIT: Well, was a tad bit mortified to see a subject line that could pass for some Craig's List Personals post. Unfortunately GW doesn't permit this to be changed, so hope you have a sense of humor. That will teach me not to cut and paste the first common name from wildflower.org without a little more thought.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paxistima myrsinites (wildlife.org)

This post was edited by bostedo on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 18:04

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mountain lover in north Texas

LOL! I didn't think of the double meaning til I read your post. Guess I haven't read enough personals lately :-)

Sorry I don't have any advice about your plantings. My autumn sage is about 2 ft high with not a lot of water on the east side of my house if that helps.

Lisa

o

Lisa, Thanks for getting past the subject line with input on the Autumn Sage question. Glad to hear it is doing well for you on the east wall at about 2 ft. They're still our leading choice for replacing the nana yaupons below the windows, but asked because we found them to be a bit temperamental about location in our heavy clay soil while experimenting with them in our backyard. Will go ahead and try a couple out front (east) this year before pulling the yaupons the next.

Still want to take a look at myrtle-boxwood/mountian-lover. Unfortunately finding some native to the southern end of its range appears unlikely for now, though interest in new cultivars for landscape use seems to be growing.

o

I have autumn sage planted in non-amended black gumbo, in an east-facing front yard. They're doing fine, but they're away from the foundation (I didn't plant anything underneath the eaves) and I rarely water the yard.

I guess my question is do you really need to have anything planted up against the foundation? Or can you leave the space underneath the eaves open and plant in front of that? As long as it's shorter than the windows, it won't conceal any burglars.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here