Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janet_myers6525

Peppers

Janet Myers
11 years ago

Someone just gave me a package of Bell Pepper mix seeds. Is it to late to plant them? I live in the Longview / Tyler area. She also have some Moss curly Parsley that I wan to plant.

Oh, I don't have a yard garden, only a patio one.

Thanks for you help.

Piper

Comments (8)

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

Assuming that y'all would follow the same gardening schedule as North Central Texas, I'd wait about six weeks to plant the bell pepper seeds. We're supposed to plant them July 30 - Aug. 25th for the fall planting season. The same schedule says to plant parsley Aug. 15 - Oct. 10. I'd lean towards the latter part of that time frame as parsley doesn't like the high heat. And, with the plants being in pots (I'm assuming), you can bring them in when it's supposed to drop below 40 and extend their producing time for a while.

• scotty66
    11 years ago

since planting on your patio (container?) then you might be able to plant the seeds now... if your able to protect the seedlings from the heat that will be coming.

If you are able to do this it might mean more peppers for you during the fall. and being in containers mean you could possibly overwinter your plants for even bigger plant/harvest next spring.

• Janet Myers
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both. I will wait to plant the seeds.
    I use parsley in everything so really want it to make it.
    I hope the peppers do well.
    Thanks again
    Piper

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

I would plant them now too! Or some of them. I know what the rules say but I would plant them and protect them from full blazing Sun. Then, if some little critter eats the sprout you still have time to start over... :+)

I planted pepper seeds last weekend in my raised bed garden that does not get constant sun. I used little peat pellet "pots" to keep moisture on them while they germinate.

After that, fingers are crossed. By the time they germinate and turn into the size sold at a nursery it will probably be the riht time time to plant. if all goes well. Spotted little claw prints on the area where two of the peat pellet pots were excavated.

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    11 years ago

Not sure how raised your beds are, but summertime germination success is very much a matter of soil temperature, and in a raised bed in the Texas summer, the soil temps can get pretty high.

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html

Peppers look to do OK at high soil temps, but you might want to shade the bed completely or cover it with something reflective at least until the peppers start to sprout.

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

Thanks Dan
    Covering completely is not an option. What temperature is too high for peppers? Perhaps I just wasted my 50 cents worth of 10 cent seed pkts.

Thank you. I'll report back. C

• Darylltx
    11 years ago

Texas ag Im in central texas, New Braunfels, can you post a complete listing of suggested fall crops and when can I start seeds. I wont plant tomatoes as the big box stores just don't sell established plants like in spring. I already have tons of different pepper plants how about cucumbers and when suggestion vegetables I don't have a lot of room about 50 feet long by 5 feet wide in ground area I had great success in spring with celebrity and cherry tomatoes

thanks
    Daryll

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

I'm sorry, Daryll, but I only have the schedule for North Central Texas. From what I've seen, we can pretty much plant anything we want for a fall/early spring harvest. I suggest that you contact your count ag extension agent for a local list of what you can plant and when. Or, watch the paper, as they may tell you what to plant in the next few weeks.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21