Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Expanded Shale vs Perlite

Posted by jchad214 8a (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 16:39

I wonder whether to use expanded shale or perlite to mixed with my organic potted mix. I'm growing Hydrangeas in pots that receive direct sun from sun up till about noon. I'm also getting Air-Pots for my hydrangeas. Does anyone have experience with it? I see lots of cannabis growers using them Air-Pots in there greenhouses environments. I might as well getting Root Pouch which is fabric pots. Not sure which is better.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Expanded Shale vs Perlite

I prefer expanded shale for growing stuff but I use Perlite to grow seeds in.

I like Roottrapper bags the best of all because of white covering to keep the root system cooler from sun exposure.

o

Thanks Lou for the input. I think I'll grab a 40 lb bag of expanded shale tomorrow so that I can start repotting my plants soon. Regarding the heat, I plan on making some sort of wood skirt to protect the pots :)

o

I like expanded shale also . I use it in the garden to help with drainage and holding water in very porous soils. It is good for breaking up clay when used with compost. I also use Pumice in pots for mixing with potting soil for drainage. I get my Pumice at Calahan's feed store (austin) It comes under the name of Dry Stall. They use it in horse stables to keep the floor dry. Great stuff. Hard to find in Texas.

o

I will be using EcoScraps organic potting mix (coir, veggies, compost, bark fine, perlite). I am really worried about overwatering so I was thinking of adding more perlite. Then came across expanded shale idea and they are super cheap in Texas so I was debating. I will give it a try.

o

Where is it cheap, I live in Houston and it is entirely too expensive as compared with other option, IMO

o

a$14 for 40lbs expanded shale. $19 for 40lbs of Pumice .

o

Expanded shale is $5.95 for 40 lbs at Home Depot in DFW.

o

ES is not available at the HD in Austin…Bummer.

o

Wow for 5.95 I will load up next time I'm in big D

o

Have you tried Cornelius nursery in Houston? They might have it because Calloway's has it here $10 for 40 lbs.

o

I'll ck it out. Tks. I always forget Cornelius and calloways are connected

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here