Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Southern Magnolia loosing leafs

Posted by ipribadi Austin, TX (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 07 at 16:42

I planted a 15-gal southern magnolia 2 months ago.

It was from a container and I made sure it wasn't planted too deep and was properly mulched.

Ever since, the magnolia would keep loosing its leaves. The leaves would turn yellow then brown and then fall off.
At the same time it still buds new leaves, but it has lost 50% of all its leaves in the past 2 months.

I've given it adequate water and fertilizer (N2). Adding fertilizer helped it be more green, but it's still losing leaves at about the same rate it's regenerating new leaves.

Could it be too much watering? It's at a low spot in my yard and Austin, TX has been receiving about 1-2" of rain per week for the past 2 months.

Can anyone advise me what's wrong with my southern magnolia?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Southern Magnolia loosing leafs

That's normal, they loose leaves all year long. In the Spring more, as long as it is setting new buds, I wouldn't worry. Sounds like you are doing all of the right things.
Good luck
jolana

o

It's an Iron Deficiency..My neighbor had the same problem and I suggested Iron and it stopped...Jeanne

o

I've heard of folks using Ironite on their mags. Last year was the first year I used an organic blend acid fertilizer and even with the drought, I had a ton of flowers this year. Not supposed to fertilize until after it's done flowering, which may already be here for you.

They do lose leaves in the spring. Right now it's hard to stay on top of clean up. (I usually rake them and mulch / mow above the roots and let the mulch sit)

o

Watering is critical for newly planted trees, expecially when it starts getting hot. A tree dissipates most of its water through its leaves. If it loses its leaves, it won't need as much water. Feel the soil to wee if the soil is wet or dry and water accordingly. If your tree is puting on new leaves, most likely it will be ok. Pay attention to your watering.

o

This is from another forum here at GW

Here is a link that might be useful: Magnolias

o

My magnolia is just over a year old, and made is through the San Antonio ICE this year, it is about 6 feet tall, but has not bloomed yet, I am also using muracid, I think that is how it is spelled, lots of peat moss, and iron shavings. It is very green, growing in full sun. Does it take a few years for them to start blooming? Also, are there suggestions on how to get the truck larger in diameter?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here