Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

What does your salvia greggii look like in winter?

TxMarti
14 years ago

Is it evergreen enough to look full? I have some in the backyard that look pretty scraggly all winter. I wonder if they would fill out if I gave them a little more attention.

Comments (12)

• lyfia
    14 years ago

Mine looks very leggy with a few leaves on them. This year I'm going to just cut them down when they start looking scraggly.

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Same with mine - scraggly in winter. I cut them back in the spring and they look great now.

I have seen some photos on here with good looking salvia greggii in winter, so someone may have some tips.

• shebear
    14 years ago

Treat them like roses. Cut them back in spring and fall. Keeps them busy.

• marlingardener
    14 years ago

Salvia greggii should be cut back in the "J" months, June or July, and again in January. When they are mature, I take off about 1/3 of the plant. During the winter they are little green shrubs--no flowers, but the leaves stay on and are green.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

I have heard that if you take off too much, they will lag before they start blooming again, but they will. I am always pinching them back to keep them full. I have seen some Greggiis get leggy because of not enough trimming back. J months sound good. I have also heard that when they get woody, and older, their "growth" nodes get wooded in so branching out becomes more difficult for them.Get them nice and bushy when they are young. That's the ticket. Mine are still blooming up a storm so I will wait till July. I like to collect the seeds.

• chickadee_42us
    14 years ago

Ooh, love this information. Mine have gone asleep, I am putting pruning/deadheading on my list to do this weekend.

Thank you, thank you thank you

• mikeandbarb
    14 years ago

When I first started growing salvai's I took the time to prune just the spent stems, took a lot of time to do, now I just cut the bush back.

Right now all of mine are full and flowering :)

• gnabonnand
    14 years ago

Well, I failed to do that, so at the moment, mine are scraggly & "dry prairie" looking.
    What should I do?
    Cut them back how much at this time of year?
    They are extremely leggy, scraggly, & woody at the moment.

Randy

• carrie751
    14 years ago

I did not get mine cut back as I normally would either, Randy. I will eagerly await some answers on this one. I know I must cut them back, both for looks and for space, but I would hate to have just some ugly brown sticks. Mine are blooming, but badly in need of a "trim".

• melvalena
    14 years ago

I've always just cut 'em back pretty severly. Mine only get part sun to mostly dappled shade so they're pretty leggy. I wait until they are finished blooming and whack 'em down. Not completely down, just close too it.
    They sit there and do ok until its time to get ready to bloom again when they start putting out branches and growing like gang busters. Haven't killed one yet! And they stay pretty small and full, which is perfect for where I have them planted.

• gnabonnand
    14 years ago

Thank you, Melva. I appreciate the info! I'll go out and give mine a good haircut.

Randy

• carrie751
    14 years ago

I will wait until mine have a few less blooms before I start whacking.....!!!!

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert