Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thegravytrain

Best Fall Tomato Variety? DFW area

thegravytrain
11 years ago

I am looking to plant fall tomatoes, and would like something that is #1 tasty, and #2 resilient.

For cherry tomatoes, it looks like Super Sweet 100 is a good choice.

For medium/large, it looks like Better Boy, Super Fantastic, Valley Girl, and maybe Green Zebra (novelty?).

Any other tasty choices out there for this area that people swear by?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (23)

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

I don't have the slightest, but look forward to hearing ideas also!

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

I've had decent luck with the Sweet 100's (however they're named) before when I wasn't taking care of them and they're doing VERY well for me right now with extra care. I'm assuming/planning that they'll continue doing this well until the cold kills them.

I haven't had any luck with any luck with any other varieties, especially not larger ones.

• dfw_gardener
    11 years ago

I've been having very good success with super sweet 100s.

I cannot recommend red beefsteaks.

Here is a link that might be useful: My tomato videos

• thegravytrain
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! Anyone have good experience with medium/large varieties?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

One year I had good luck with Pink Caspians.They had a great crop and the freeze happened and they still were covered with tomatoes. They kept ripening inside till February when I ate my last tomato. I should buy some seed and get some started. TOMORROW!!!!!!

Another great Russian tomato. Their historical breeding program is so different than ours. Amazing tomatoes. I am still discovering more and more of them.

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

I guess right now is the right time to plant the seeds of Caspians, if I'm understanding, right? Plant the seeds, or plants?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Seeds. I have always heard that one plants seeds on July 4th. I am in Austin area.

• scotty66
    11 years ago

I'm basing my fall garden on this springs success/failures.

I really like the "husky cherry red" for cherry tomatoes... tremendous flavor (very sweet) and steady producer.

Even though my celebrity tomatoes had bad leaf curl and didn't look pretty, the production was through the roof. I definitely won't plant as many.

Last year I put transplants (grape tomatoes) in the ground at the start of august and I didn't think they were going to survive the heat (they did, barely). This year I may keep them in containers so I can have them in a more shaded location. I will put them in ground around late august.

First freeze in Austin is usually early December I believe.

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Just ordered Caspian Pink and Super 100 seeds, planting around July 4 ought to be interesting, and I'll sure try! Got to say I've never had any luck with tomatoes before this year, and while not spectacular, am getting fresh tomatoes to eat, and loving it! This has piqued my interest in planting more veggies, who knows, maybe I'll have a garden one of these days!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I would start the tomatoes in the shade in pots and move out later.

• weldontx
    11 years ago

Has anyone ordered from Tomato Growers Supply? I got tomato and pepper seed from them 2 yrs ago. The seeds do well, but I've not had luck with a lot of the plants....my fault, me thinks. I'd like to try Paul Robeson and Anna Russian. Does anyone have information about either of these?
    Here's the web address: http://www.tomatogrowers.com

• sfmathews
    11 years ago

Hi Weldon,
    I grew PR a few years back. Nice producer of 8-12 oz tasty blackish fruit for me. Plant didn't get huge, like some heirlooms can. I carried mine over from the spring into the fall.
    I've included a link that might be helpful:

Here is a link that might be useful: Paul Robeson

• sfmathews
    11 years ago

Weldon, here is the link to Anna Russian. I haven't grown this one.
    Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Anna Russian

• dfw_gardener
    11 years ago

I'm going to try to nurse my plants over to the fall, now that the real heat has come:

super sweet 100s
    beefsteak heirlooms

I will not be planting the beefsteak again, the Caspian Pink sounds interesting, anyone know about Ozark Pink VF?

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I did that last year and despite considerable limb damage from the late June hail storm, I had a great fall crop of tomatoes and lots of green ones to pick and store. We had tomatoes until February.

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Wantonamara, when you you plant them out?
    Thanks!
    ogrose

• weldontx
    11 years ago

thanks for the Paul and Anna links ( I've got to learn how to do that!). I noticed with both that Baker Creek Heirloom carries the seeds. I've ordered from them before and like what I got from them.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    11 years ago

I think planting seeds out July 4th in DFW may be kind of late - on the Neil Sperry calendar, he says to start them from seeds or cuttings in early June, so that transplants are ready to set out by the end of June.

• sfmathews
    11 years ago

Yes, my understanding is transplants need to be in no later than first week of July for DFW? So yes, deadline not far off. I put in new tranplants last week. Gonna try to nurse others through summer.
    Susan

• sfmathews
    11 years ago

Weldon, check your email if you are signed up for Baker Creek. I just got an email of 15% off your order this week.
    It doesn't look like an individual code, but rather a general one. Put it in before check out. Use 15OFF2012.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baker Creek Fall Gardening

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

THANK YOU!!!!

• weldontx
    11 years ago

sf: THANKS for the discount. I had not rec'd an e-mail, but it worked and my seeds are ordered. HOPE I can get them in time to get production before winter. I'll at least have seeds for next spring.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I am off to buy my transplant tomorrow.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists