Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freshair2townsquare

homemade plant markers

just read this on the GW hosta forum & thought you'd be interested . . .

~ freshair

Here is a link that might be useful: homemade plant markers

Comments (9)

• melvalena
    13 years ago

Those turned out very nice!

• freshair2townsquare
    Original Author
    13 years ago

they're pretty fabuloso - from other posts of his, it seems he has *a lot* of plants to label
    ~ freshair

• PKponder TX Z7B
    13 years ago

I love those! They look really nice!!!

I'm using wood slices from an old 4X4 that was partially rotted. Hubby cut thin diagonal slices that I attached to popsicle sticks with gorilla glue (after discovering that wood glue looses bond when it gets wet and staples break the wood). Lot's of learning here, the sharpie faded after 2 weeks so I'm trying paint pens now, but got a great tip from Sylvia about china markers. I'm just tired of mini blinds.

Pam

• seamommy
    13 years ago

Pam, I got tired of having to rewrite the names of my roses on the plant markers that used a china marker or pencil or sharpie. I bought some of that silver tape at the Lowes and cut pieces the same size and shape as the little metal markers. You write on the tape and it leaves an impression, then peel off the backing and stick the tape on top of the marker. It's been about 8 years now and all of them are still in good shape.

The problem I have with them now is that I can no longer see the name of a plant etched on a 5" marker 8" from the ground. Now I need a marker "sign" that's nearly at eye level and with the names at least 3/4" tall. Those little plexiglass markers are very cute, but I would have to be slithering around the garden on my belly to be able to read them. Cheryl

• PKponder TX Z7B
    13 years ago

Cheryl, you sound just like me! It's just too hot to wear my readers in the garden!

Thanks for the tip on the silver tape from Lowes!

Pam

• garf_gw
    13 years ago

What I need is tiny markers to label what variety of tomato seedling I have in a batch. I just used a ball point pen on paper, then put shipping tape on both sides, then cut it to size with a scissors. I'd like to see how long it survives.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing all the ideas.
    Just get one of the electric or battery etchers and write the names on the plastic. The sun won't fade it and the weather won't wash it off, and there is no tape to distract from the plants.
    pa

• pinecone
    13 years ago

We use old window blinds, now days most are plastic that we get. You can use an electric etcher or wood burner. Or a sharpie to write the name. They can be cut to all sizes and shapes. It was nice when we could find metal window blinds. I would even use paint on them to write plant names.
    Hope this helps those who have a need.

pinecone

• taterbug
    13 years ago

I have used dark smooth river rocks. I purchased them cheap at a garden center. I wrote on them with silver paint pen. They were really pretty. I say 'were', because in the Spring I paid my son to mulch, without any thought about the markers. Now they are buried under all that mulch! taterbug